best practice methods - stripped jewel setting threads

Hello,

For a long time one of the problems I've consciously avoided has been stripped threads on balance jewel screws (I've done a couple over the years but usually buy them then spot damaged screws under the dial and put on one side). Not repairing watches professionally allows me some leeway to relegate movements to the parts pile, or to avoid buying.. but after all this time there are some movements I'd like to restore to a respectable standard.

After the screw thread is restored, will the movement often be re-plated/gilded or does the repair (and associated cost) usually mean the movement is not re-plated/ gilded?

I can think of a few ways to restore the screw threads in the movement but would like to know which method is currently considered the best practice method - and potentially some more information about it (specifically for the screws which hold balance jewel settings because those screws are rather near the edge of the hole for the setting).

I also see a potential issue of getting the correct thread in the hole if it's for something like an English Lever / fusee. Were late 1800's English watches usually made with an imperial or metric thread standard? (guessing BA came along a bit too late for UK watchmaking)

Thank you