Case vs dial numbers

Good day fellow forum folks!!,  I have a seiko question. It’s actually a bunch of questions. 

i know the first 4 numbers are the caliber code, ie 6139, but the last 4 on the dial often differ from the case back. Sometimes by only 1 number but sometime by the entire sequence.  Would the first be considered the dial code, containing  information like date, color, etc. and the other code information on the actual case, style, origin, etc?  Would an extreme difference in the 2 codes indicate a swapped case back?

Am I correct in believing that a interpretation of the serial number will only yield the date of manufacture of the CASE, as well as the region but nothing really to do with the dial?

i received a bunch of watches strictly intended for fixer uppers and while 2 of them have 6139 dials, the movements are 6138B’s. My inventory begins to runneth over;).

Anyway, thanks for any insight!!

Clearly the dial number must differ from the case number, as there are many possible variations of the first. There is no coded information, it's just a code, to know if it's right or wrong one have to know all the variations made on a same case.

The serial number only embeds the manufacturing date, nothing about the place of manufacturing, that may (or may be not) indicated on dial, case-back (back or inside), rotor, etc.

If you read or ask on a specialized Seiko forum like SCWF you would meet the most knowledge with very focused collectors, able to go over in excruciating detail over that kind of things.

Edited by jdm