Timing Machine Advice

margolisd

Hi everyone. So, a coaxial movement has landed on my bench. Which has made me think, maybe it's time to upgrade from my cheap Chinese timing machine, which can't read coax escapements, to something with a few more features. In particular, I spend a lot of time Dynamic poising, So something that can calculate standard deviation for me would be super useful.

One thing I'm not short on is Laptops. So I don't need an all in one device. I've been looking at the Witschi ChronoMaster which is just a microphone with a USB lead that plugs into a laptop. But is it worth £1,595? Is there cheaper and equally effective software out there? I noticed is that the higher end Witschi machines now have a new feature, calculating the balance wheel's "centre or unbalance". I'm not sure what this means exactly or if it's useful.

Thanks all :biggrin:

I´d say: save your money, keep the Weishi.
1. It will show the correct rate of Coax watches, too (if beat rate is right).
2. It will show a wrong amplitude value (some percents too high with right L.A.)
You can compensate (2.) with a modified L.A.

Sufficient for dynamic poising: you will need
- about same amplitude in all vertical positions (flawless escapemen!), 
- to know which position shows the highest/lowest rate,
- to know the theory behind the procedure

Frank

Edited by praezis

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• As Richard said, this is a really old school trick for joinery.  Cut i strip of paper, might need to be watch paper  around 1 " x 1/2" lay it over a staking block then press the stud screw into and through the edge of the paper upto the head of the screw. You probably wont even need to pull the paper away the head will pull itself through.
    • Thanks Jon, my mum is getting there day by day, so strong and determined, they dont make em like this anymore 🙂 Old folk are so amazing,  my mum used to love her golf, she didn't stop playing until she was 70 . Enjoy your trip and your golf.
    • Hello,  i am looking to source a winding stem (winding arbor) for a waltham 6/0 d movement. I have found some that claim to fit 6/0, 6/0s, 6/0b etc and somealso claim they will also fit the d as well. The d does have hacking which is driven by the stem seating completely. Given some of the costs of these, i was hoping someone would know of any interchangeability with a source, or know a source where a confirmed 6/0 d stem can be had. I am in the US so a US dealer is best.    thanks in advance. 
    • So great to see and hear- your mum looks great! …my mil had a stroke last summer in the golf course parking lot. I’m flying out tomorrow to visit and play golf. she’s ornery because she can’t get off the tee but I hear she makes up for it on the greens since she’s been putting since a week after her stroke 🧐…
    • Very best wishes to you and your family, as a carer myself I know how difficult things can be.