Omega 1128 Stem Height?

motomax

Hello all, I am working on a custom gmt watch project and would appreciate some help from someone who has worked on an Omega Seamaster Professional GMT with 1128 movement. I have most of the relevant specs from Omega, but have been unable to find the stem height of the movement, which makes it difficult to select a case.

Here's what I have been thinking. The 1128 is the same height as the ETA 2836, and both movements have extra height on the dial side compared to their base movement. I'm just trying to figure out if the stem height of the 2836 is close enough to that of the 1128. I have seen 2.25mm quoted as the stem height of the 2836, but this is unconfirmed.

I'm wondering if I can compensate enough by increasing the crown tube diameter and/or take some material off the dial seat (I suspect the 1128 has a taller stem height). And then perhaps add a domed crystal for hand clearance.

Help?

Hi motomax, welcome to the forum.

I won't be able to confirm the height but I'm sure other members might soon jump in and do so. I did once just for the sake of experimenting and using my dremel on a special fixture I have, re drilled a Seiko case with a damaged tube, then fitted another (generic) tube that came with its own crown. It passed up to 6 atm in my machine (that's all I can measure with it), so I'm happy with the outcome. Now, will I do it again, probably not and it might not be "the correct way to do things"...

Just a thought,

Bob

Thanks for the thought Bob! I was thinking of taking some material off the dial seat and/or possibly making the next larger crown tube as you suggested. But I understand that the main issue of having a stem out of center is wearing out the main plate by extra torque on the winding gear or either bending the setting lever/return bar etc so that it all doesn't quite work right.