Stubborn Bridge Screw Removal

jnash

Hi guys, just working on a old pocket watch and the the escape bridge screw is not shifting.

ive gone through three screwdrivers on this screw today.

Currently its being soaked in WD40 but if that doesnt work do you guys have any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance. 

Get an old screwdriver and heat the tip until cherry red then apply to the screw. Don't use too much force as the idea is just to get the screw heated up enough to break the adhesion (by expanding and then contracting). You may need to do this several times.

You will hear the oil hiss.. keep adding more as it will wick into the threads. If the end of the screw is exposed apply oil there as well.

Don't expect miracles as this has only 50:50 chance of success but its better than brute force.

Anil

• Like 3

Get an old screwdriver and heat the tip until cherry red then apply to the screw. Don't use too much force as the idea is just to get the screw heated up enough to break the adhesion (by expanding and then contracting). You may need to do this several times.

You will hear the oil hiss.. keep adding more as it will wick into the threads. If the end of the screw is exposed apply oil there as well.

Don't expect miracles as this has only 50:50 chance of success but its better than brute force.

Anil

I'll have a go, I've left it soaked in wd40, I'll see how that goes!

i stuck a soldering iron onto it for a while to keep it hot, then i resharpened a screw driver tat would ft perfectly.

dug that in with a few taps of a hammer so it was in firm and then used pliers to turn the screw driver.

Voila..

thanks for the help!

Excellent!

for anyone else thinking of using this method... make sure that the tip of the soldering iron is free from old solder. While having some solder on the tip will elp the heat transfer.. hot solder tends to wick into anything... you dont want it in the threads.

Anil