Stowa A.s. 1880

Don

I had in mind, as my second project, a Lucerne Super Flat I sniped off the Bay. Upon stripping it down, I found it was a pin lever movement. Although it would be good practice to service it, I'm on the fence if I want to spend the time, cleaning solution and lubricants on it. In the meantime, I decided to start another project. I bought this Stowa watch four years ago with the idea of getting it serviced. I found that to be cost prohibitive, so it has sat in a box until now.

Stowa.jpg

It wasn't running when I got it and when I opened it up I saw why that might be. There is green and black gunk all over the place. My working theory is that the o-ring disintegrated. 

AS1880_greenblack_gunk.jpg

AS1880_gunk.jpg

Once some of the gunk came out, it started running! Now I'm a little stuck. This movement is a little different than the Caravelle I worked on first. The second(?) wheel has a friction pinion on the dial side of the movement and I need some advice as to how to remove it. I have a Presto type Bergeon canon pin remover, but it can't get down far enough to work.  I'm also curious curious as to the function of the pinion in question. In addition, there is a spring on the dial side that I'm having trouble removing and wondering if I even need to remove it. The following photo shows the friction pinion on the right and the spring on the left. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AS1880_friction_wheel_and_spring.jpg

Don

I just watched Mark's video on the AS 1900 and he did not remove the spring. Also, I gave another try pulling the friction pinion gently with my tweezers. This time it came off and flew across the desk. I feared that it had gone to join so many other parts in that limbo where watch parts and the missing sock from the dryer reside, but I was fortunate enough to find it. So, consider my current problems solved.

I always use my tweezers for the pinions, I use the thicker part behind the tips. It ensures that the part doesn't fly away and preserves the tips! Of course a pinion tool is better and ensures a straight extraction. In any event, good job Don...and you just gave away another hiding place I should search for lost parts! Never thought they would team up with socks! :)

• Like 1

Finally got back to this project today. I removed the mainspring from the barrel and sorted all the parts in the my new cleaning baskets. If I have time tonight I'll run them through the ultrasonic. The mainspring looks good. I was going to replace it, but I think I'll give it a try first.

stowa_mainspring.jpg

stowa_cleaning.jpg