Lining Up A 2836-2 Balance With Pallet Fork

mlfloyd1

If you notice, the balance wheel has a jewel. The way I do it, is placing the fork all the way to the left and placing the balance wheel right  in (wheel jewel pointing forward) then I rotate the cock as necesary to place it where it belongs. You might need to gently rotate the balance wheel with your tweezers. Then check it is engaged: if you puff it witht he pump and it start moving and suddenly stops, it is outside the fork. If it swings freely and the fork moves you are good to go.

This is the bit that gave me the most heartache when I started.

Wind the watch 1-2 turns and check that the escapement levers flicks sharply from side to side by gently pushing it with a dry oiler or tooth pick.

If all is well, fit the balance wheel. Make sure that you position the balance jewel correctly regarding the end of the lever. Looking down on the lever, if it lying to the right, ensure that the balance jewel is even further to the right when you drop the balance into position. Vice versa if the lever is lying to the left. As you turn the balance cock into the correct position the balance jewel will automatically engage the lever and watch should start running.

As a wee aside, when oiling a watch, do not oil the jewels on the escapement lever.

Edited by Geo