What is this?

billh

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• This is one I've had for a while, 1020 movement, bought with a setting fault - but it was running and setting fine after a service. Until the second hand fell off! I initially thought I'd not fitted it properly so re-fitted it - and it fell off again within a few hours. I then realised after looking at parts on ebay that it should have a bush or sleeve and the one I had was missing that. Since then I've been hunting for parts, then getting around to re-doing it as it's probably the most valuable one I have and I'm still nervous with anything that has difficult-to-get or expensive parts. It was also missing the hack, which originally I was not bothered about as the plastic part seemed rather dodgy, and the date ring print looked worn. I got a date ring, hands and found there was an alternate metal hack so got that too. The hack is perfect, hands great - but I'm not sure of the date ring? It fits the movement, but is thicker that the one that was in it and looked like it may scuff or jam on the back of the dial? I've left the original one in for now; that does have some clearance behind the dial but I'm not sure if it is enough, or if there should be a dial spacer that I do not have? See the photo. I do suspect it has been got-at to some extent in the past, as the hands that were on it look slightly tarnished and the seconds hand is a slightly different length to the one in the new set. There is a slight mark on the dial around the 9 o'clock index; I have no idea what that is but I don't like messing with dials in case I make things worse.  Whether or not the date ring is correct, it looks nice and runs well, definitely a good smart wearable watch!        
    • Hi, my first post here! Hope that someone can help me to identify some Seitz jewels… I bought some NOS jewels at auction, but now I’m not really sure what kind of jewels they are. All envelopes has the design in the picture. Is there a difference in envelope design for the different types of Seitz jewels? I’m curious to find out, since some Seitz flat jewels with olive hole and Seitz regular flat jewels have the same size, like 12/70, 12/80 12/90 or 16/100, 16/110, 16/120. And I can’t tell which one it is just by looking at them.   Also, some envelopes has ’B’ as prefix (like B11/70), I guess those are balance jewels? Thankful for help!
    • Here’s a link to the specific model.   https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/timepieces/engraving-online-service/43-mm-calibre-5-automatic/WBP208B.BF0631.html   heres an image of the case back 
    • In addition you will need a c to cs adapter which is just a 5mm ring to bring the camera at the right distance.    The camera I have is a Hayear camera I got from AliExpress. It does the job but I find the usage a bit clunky. But I don’t know if others are better
    • I see. I understand, thank you. Though, I have access to 3D printing and the machine shop at my univeristy. Getting those parts should be fine. An example with the National. I can request the machine shop to turn the national spindle to support an Elma basket. I think its further possible for them to make an extension to support an Elma basket for the Brenray. I am just not sure which machine requires the most effort. I am trying to see the costs of restoration on each of them and then ultimately buy the one. I haven't seen a watch cleaning machine on the local market for years. A local watch part shop which sells the Janta/Pearl watch cleaning machines for $540, a clone of the Elma Super Elite, is willing to order in from India, watch baskets, and such spares.  So I am not sure if I should let go of this opportunity. I am willing to rewire everything and update it to current safety standards.