Anyone know how to correctly repair a watch crown clutch?

SSTEEL

As many of you probably know by now, many watch screw down crowns have a clutch, i.e.> a small spring inside, so when you push the crown onto the tube thread to screw it down to ensure its water resistance, this spring disengages the crowns clutch, and as such does not manually wind the movement whilst screwing down.

Does anyone know the best way to repair a crown's clutch?  On many watches, I simply order a new crown if available, but parts for certain vintages are proving impossible to find, and thats where I need your help.  I have disassembled a couple of faulty crowns I have in stock to inspect its internal parts, one, I was able to unscrew the shaft to access thew spring, whilst the second one, and the one I need to repair, there appears no way of putting it back together, no screw down top that both holds in the spring in the crown shaft, and the watch stem screws onto.

I'm guessing its throwaway, renew, but as said, with this Breitling ana-digital vintage I'm working on, the crown is no longer stocked.

Well here's where I'm at right now.  The following is with a donor crown that also had a faulty clutch, and is one of those throwaway types of crown without the unscrew spring/stem chamber.

I decided to attack this chamber from the other end, the part that fits to the inside of the actual crown.

First to separate the clutch chamber.

29829335780_e27acde8b5_k.jpgDSC07792 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Then, carefully filing down the rear end, I exposed the internal spring.

29496350363_92e0b193a6_k.jpgDSC07795 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Then with the whole assembly taken apart...

30040560011_a3d902fc14_k.jpgDSC07793 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

I then hunted for a suitable piece of round shaft metal to use as a plug to push the spring into the shaft so the spring is under tension, but not too much as to disable the crowns clutch functionality.

Into my staking set it goes..

29496350393_e8a4c2130b_k.jpgDSC07796 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

I found that a fixed bracelet link shaft was a suitable size to use, so matched a stake, and paired everything up..

30089853146_57ae8124b0_k.jpgDSC07797 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Perfect, so then I mixed a tiny amount of JB Weld, and applied to the lower part of that bracelet fixed shaft, then used my blower to blow it down inside the clutch chamber.  

Now the wait for it to cure, and then if all good, i will refit the clutch shaft to the crown also using JB weld.

Fingers crossed, if this works, I know how to repair crown clutches on those crowns which would normally be thrown away :)

• Like 3