I think I'm too rough when I assemble watches. Last night I repeatedly tried to get a second hand on a build using an 8215 movement. I bent the tip of the second sweep pinion. When I tried to bend it back straight, I broke the tip off.  After that, it was easy to get my second hand to sweep, but it never seated correctly and would fall off if I tilted the movement or advanced the time.  I eventually gave up and bought another 8215 + a set of hands. 

I'm pretty new at this watch building thing. This is my 2nd time to break an 8215 movement. (I've also broken a PT5000. But I completed successful builds with 2428 and NH35, so progress?) I took the previous 8215 apart and then reassembled the movement. I never figured out what the problem was, but I demystified the mechanics a bit. Unfortunately, I tossed the broken 8215 when I put it back together.  Now I can't cannibalize its pinion.

I would like to buy a second sweep pinion and see if I can fix my most recent 8215 f-up, but I don't want to pay $10 on eBay for a tiny part for a $25 movement.  I live in a big city (Houston).  Where can I go to buy watch parts locally?

Edited by HeyBCool

• 2 weeks later...