Tag Heuer 2000 - faulty crown or faulty stem ?

Hi everyone,

please bear in mind that this is my first attempt of repair of this type so I might not have the right terminology of things, if so I apologise for that.

i recently acquired this Tag heuer 2000 series 973.006, however for some reason the crown does not push fully inside the case/tube and seems to be locked at the date selection. 
In other words, I can’t pop it in as it’s blocked so by moving the crown it is changing the date. If I pop the crown out once it then moves the hands. Which makes me thinking especially looking at the gap between the crown and the case that there is one more step to put it in.

Checked the crown which seems to be the right diameter, could it be due to the stem being too long or unadapted for this movement ? Which direction should I start to fix it up ?

Edited by Jojotime
Pictures missing

On 3/11/2024 at 5:07 PM, Jojotime said:

Hi everyone,

please bear in mind that this is my first attempt of repair of this type so I might not have the right terminology of things, if so I apologise for that.

i recently acquired this Tag heuer 2000 series 973.006, however for some reason the crown does not push fully inside the case/tube and seems to be locked at the date selection. 
In other words, I can’t pop it in as it’s blocked so by moving the crown it is changing the date. If I pop the crown out once it then moves the hands. Which makes me thinking especially looking at the gap between the crown and the case that there is one more step to put it in.

Checked the crown which seems to be the right diameter, could it be due to the stem being too long or unadapted for this movement ? Which direction should I start to fix it up ?

Hi there,

Is the crown 'screw in' type, or 'normal'?

From what You say, I will assume it is normal type. If so, then You would need to do this checks:

Take out the stem with the crown and take out the movement from the case. Then, test

1. If the crown (with the stem) goes on tube/case normally to the end. If not, see if there is some obsticle inside the crown that needs to be cleaned/removed.

2. Put the stem back in movement, but without the case. Check if all functions as it should.

On 3/11/2024 at 3:07 PM, Jojotime said:

Hi everyone,

I've had this before, the gasket in the crown had swelled up probably from someone trying to clean in naptha. Do as Nev suggested, have the movement out of the case and make sure that the gasket will slide over the tube. If that is ok then start looking at the stem for correct length. 

• 2 weeks later...

it should have a screw-down crown, a picture of the movement would help, should be ETA, the newer replacement movement has a really small pin on the setting lever that holds it in its perspective place, it breaks sometimes but any of these movements could use lubrication in the setting, the o-ring in the crown can be replaced if needed too.....