There seem to be several variants of these. Can anyone explain the differences between them? I have a cheap one that I use for removing canon pinions, which seems to work. I had to remove a 5-spoke seconds driving wheel today and I know that one of the Bergeon ones is designed for that (I managed with skinny hand levers) but apart from that one they all seem much the same apart from the colours. What am I missing?

Further to that information provided.  

The tips on the #3 presto  tool are a bit different than the hand lifting version since they are have a slit in the one side allowing you to get the tool tips positioned safely straddling close to the spokes near the hub.  The design makes it consistently safer than using hand levers to avoid accidentally bending the long arbor of the driving wheel.  But with either approach you still need to be careful with all the bendable bits around the area.

Attached a close up of the claws on the chrono driver wheel puller, and a comparison in size and shape to the standard presto hand puller (which also has a center plunger).

IMG_8461Large.jpeg.1e973a89d4a64d2bcbc87f580cba68bb.jpeg

The hand puller (and canon pinion puller have wide plunger feet on either side, which is not the case with the chrono drive puller that is trying to have as small a footprint as possible on the area.

IMG_8462Large.thumb.jpeg.adcfaab0b74345e3e29c5f162e751b5b.jpeg

Last time I checked they were still hard to find if you want to purchase one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1