My first attempt! Elgin Sportsman

Well Im starting to think Im at my first know when to hold em, know when to fold em  moment. I cant seem to get the shock setting spring out of my donor shock setting and when I think about buying a complete separate balance Im starting to realize I'm in too deep here. The case of the watch is really hammered so this thing isn't ever going to be that nice and I am considering folding on this project. I've learned a lot, both about buying and repairing. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Are there certain watches that just dont make sense to fix?

Just box it up and store it for a few weeks. Move on to another project watch. As you gain skills and experience, go back to this one with a fresh set of eyes and see if you can make progress. No rush if it is for your personal collection or to keep as a practice watch! Your journey is just beginning...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 11:01 AM, Razz said:

Just box it up and store it for a few weeks. Move on to another project watch. As you gain skills and experience, go back to this one with a fresh set of eyes and see if you can make progress. No rush if it is for your personal collection or to keep as a practice watch! Your journey is just beginning...

Love this

On 3/8/2024 at 10:01 AM, Razz said:

Just box it up and store it for a few weeks.

The longer it sits aside, I promise you the better you'll feel about giving in once again to the sunk cost fallacy and laying out the cash for the next replacement part or donor. I have a cursed Waltham wristwatch project like this where everything has gone wrong. Every few months I buy the next expensive part so that a new issue can crop up after that or it will turn out to be the wrong part. Eventually the watch will work and I might recoup a third of what I spent on parts when I sell it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I only buy mechanical personally, as it's all that interests me. There are a few electronic movements I find interesting, but they're not the sort I tend to see very often at all, and wouldn't come up in any of my searches. I have been given a few quartz watches over the years, but they all just sit in a bag in a drawer. Once I hit some critical mass, I'll hopefully get enough motivation to either sell or donate them.
    • Welcome to the forum. I was just in London this past weekend... great weather. I hope you also enjoyed it.
    • I'm surprised you say that.  I'd say that IF (!!) barrel diameter, beat rate and all other things are equal, the length is directly correlated with the power reserve.  A random/quick google search found me this quote from Longines "The length of the mainspring directly correlates with the amount of power reserve a watch has. The longer the spring, the longer the power reserve or also the reduction of the vibration, i.e. from 28’800 A/h to 25’200 A/h. (less vibration, less energy needed)." (https://www.longines.com/en-za/universe/blog/what-is-power-reserve-on-a-watch) A few anecdotal experience on my side would also lead to that conclusion. Then, of course, it depends what you mean by "verry small". In the particular case with an original MS of 300mm, going to 280mm, I'd expect losing maybe 2h of power reserve. Just a "guesstimate". 
    • Actually one would not claim such thing  about the power reserve without check to confirm this, but if any difference, it will be verry small.
    • Another question if I may. When you guys buy watch lots are you buying a mix of mechanical and quartz as well? Most of the job lots I am finding (all overseas) are a mix. If they are all mechanical, it is generally just movements with no cases. I am not at the point where I can identify movements by just viewing them so I'm not inclined to buy a bunch of stuff which will just end up lying around. Is anyone able to successfully move any of the watches they save on to someone else? I can't see a viable market in Australia for refurbished watches. Most people I have seen at work only have a watch if it counts their steps, answers their phone and makes the coffee. I'll admit it, I have a super cheap smartwatch on my wrist. Will I buy another one when it quits? Doubt it. I don't know if I would even bother with a pedometer. Heart rate? And do what with all the data? Blood pressure? Never been right since I got the watch. Sleep? If I can't work out that I'm not getting enough, I need to have a serious talk with myself. I think I'll go back to my Seiko and just make myself stay active.