I need help in how to attach this lug to the case.

I tried epoxy but it didn't hold. I prepped the surface using a diamond file.

I called a couple of jewelers and asked about laser welding but they only work on gold or platinum.

The case is base metal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

CDDECA5C-E2F7-4AC7-9CF3-6E9D5E3C6CAC_1_105_c.jpeg

My advice is to find jeweier that is more advanced than the others. I have seen ones, that even didn't know that brass can be soldered with silver solder, this kind of jewelers will not help.

As I see, the lug has been soldered to the case in the factory, this means the material of the case can be soldered. Base metal means only that it is not gold, this is not helpfull at all.

The lug can be fixed to the case by laser as a preparation for the soldering

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

more than likely its chrome or some sort of plated, sometimes stainless is called base metal, it can be silver soldered though and replated, brass doesn't laser as well as precious metals but can be done, good luck...Happy New Year

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I don't understand why did You use the bubble wrap. If You think there is any use to hold the thing exactly in the middle of the hole - wrong, there is no matter, just pass it tru the hole and take it away to at least 40 cm before release of the button. If You reduce the current, then You reduce the field strenght too, thus not alowing the tool to be demagnetised if it is holding stronger field than the coil can create. My advice is to eat You breakfast (for more muscle strenght) and to fix the demagnetiser to the table or bench top with some clamp so You will be able to use the both hands, then ask You wife to press the button for You...
    • In WW2 they used to demag submarines. 
    • You know when you pass pieces through the hole, how far do you continue to move them away from the demag ?   With the blue china ones if i don't move the steel far enough away it doesn't fully demag it , i also carry out the process twice. For a tenner its working perfectly for me up to now. Thats a big jobby Jon, even though the blue effort is working fine for me this will look well cool sat in the corner of the watchroom and might pull a few lost parts from their hidding places as a bonus . Flick the switch with a bargepole from the doorway to avoid a zinging barrel arbor taking an eyeball out.
    • Yup, I have one of those up in my shed and it's extremely effective. I picked mine up at a car boot sale for a couple of quid because nobody knew what it was. Mine looks like it came out of the Ark so I guess that they've been around for a long time. Generally for watch stuff I use an equally ancient pass through type which is usually sufficient but for really stubborn items, particularly tools I use the Eclipse.
    • I would doubt the part is available, you'll probably have to make your own.