What simple method of cleaning / degreasing would you recommend to a newbie?

Hi All,

As the topic suggests, I'm looking for some advice regarding what I need when I get my first watch / movement to tinker with in terms of degreasing / cleaning liquid / hardware. I'm certainly not going to invest in a cleaning machine yet but wonder what the minimum level of cleaning kit and liquids I would need initially?

Cheers

Daz

If your budget will stretch an ultrasonic cleaner will do the trick. They are relatively cheap and good at cleaning, make sure you get one with a heater. I used one for over a year before getting my watch cleaner and still use it for cases and other stuff.

You will need to wash in jars (ie cleaning fluid in he jars, then closed jar into water in ultrasonic) its dangerous to put IPA or naphtha directly into an ultrasonic as the heat can cause it to produce vapours which can ignite if there is a stray spark etc. You can put small parts in the little washing baskets and then put these in the jar so you aren't trying to fish out tiny screws and springs.

I used to do a first clean in water dish washing liquid 5-10 mins, very quick dunk in IPA (30 seconds) to remove residual water, then a clean in naphtha 5-10 mins, then remove the balance and pallet fork and do a final wash in IPA (isopropyle alcohol) 5-10 mins.

30 minutes ago, Waggy said:

If your budget will stretch an ultrasonic cleaner will do the trick. They are relatively cheap and good at cleaning, make sure you get one with a heater. I used one for over a year before getting my watch cleaner and still use it for cases and other stuff.

You will need to wash in jars (ie cleaning fluid in he jars, then closed jar into water in ultrasonic) its dangerous to put IPA or naphtha directly into an ultrasonic as the heat can cause it to produce vapours which can ignite if there is a stray spark etc. You can put small parts in the little washing baskets and then put these in the jar so you aren't trying to fish out tiny screws and springs.

I used to do a first clean in water dish washing liquid 5-10 mins, very quick dunk in IPA (30 seconds) to remove residual water, then a clean in naphtha 5-10 mins, then remove the balance and pallet fork and do a final wash in IPA (isopropyle alcohol) 5-10 mins.

Thanks Scott. No problem buying an ultrasonic cleaner. IPA I can also get but what brand is this naphtha stuff as hopefully I can add it to my order with Cousins?

I use the following, but mainly due to where I live

Screenshot_20230830-150411.thumb.png.8b86ffa40b1d2b525f0c929aa0d30c47.png

You may get some people advising to use zippo or similar lighter fluid, but lighter fluid is just naphtha, so get this stuff for a fraction of the cost of a little tin of zippo lighter fluid.