Question about chimes

Rixy

I have started working on a Bentima Westminster chime mantel clock. My query is about the chimes, rather than the actual mechanism. The low note (there are four altogether) is completely out of tune compared to the others, much sharper (by a few tones) than it ought to be. I am guessing it has been replaced at some point. How I go about getting one that is in tune with the others? Should I try to find one on Ebay or should I get a complete set and change them all?20230702_131822.thumb.jpg.246848f1a03f23b0b3550db9ef966937.jpg20230702_131857.thumb.jpg.23f56dc6c2f92f194b4075439baab097.jpg

The hammer sequence looks OK so I don't think Eric Morecambe is in there (all the right notes but...!). Have tapped the chimes in descending order and they play rather like E D C B-flat (not G as it should be).

• Haha 1

Are the hammers leather or plastic. Leather can get hard if leather then brush oil on them, it will take time to soften them up. I suggest trying before replacing the rods. If you need to replace buy a complete set as they will already be in tone. All good clock materiel suppliers will have them in stock.   

• Like 1

Thanks. I'll try to soften the leather.

Had a look at the rods and now I can see why the long one is out. It has snapped and been repaired with solder at some point in its life. You can just about see in the photo (top rod).  The other rods have no trace of solder. This will have had the effect of dampening the sound of that rod. Have seen a replacement set (used) on Ebay with the same dimensions for £7.99 so will get those.20230704_202848.thumb.jpg.9449c7aa29d744f0dc22bad54dd0ecbd.jpg

• Like 2