Do i have to remove these jewel covers to oil the jewels?

I'm working on a Bulova 7AP movement c. 1940. The dial side of the movement has 3 jewel covers (see first picture). The movement side has access to the jewels.

Do i have to remove the jewel covers to oil the jewels or can i just oil them from the movement side (see second picture)?

An interesting aside, i have a donor Bulova 7AP movement that does not have the three jewel covers.

Thank you!

Steve

2F640B85-97E7-4E0C-9D8A-5C74B95B494C_1_201_a.jpeg

01226038-8B42-4549-824D-0D041961036D_1_201_a.jpeg

The experts will weigh in I am sure (I am an amateur).  I think the answer is yes, you do.  If you do not, you will not thoroughly clean the area between the bearing and cap jewel.

This is a personal choice if it is your own watch and are not striving for perfection.  However, if you are aspiring to be a watchmaker, you have to be willing to take on all the tasks that professional watchmaker would take on.  If you watch Mark's videos, there is not a single screw left unscrewed (as I recall).

These, are easy.  Yes those screws are small, and you risk losing one.

I would remove the cap jewel, drop it in one-dip, then put it on watchmaker's paper...rubbing it along to clean it thoroughly.  Then put oil on the cap jewel and replace it.  All this, of course, after running the plate through the normal cleaning cycle.

• Like 1

You have to remove them to properly clean the cap jewel and the jewel hole. If you don't have an automatic oiler, my suggestion would be picking the cap jewel with a jewel picker from the top side, oiling the jewel and putting it back in its place with a help of tweezers. Jewel picker is much safer than tweezers if you don't like flying parts. I also clean cap jewels by picking them with a jewel picker and rubbing against paper with and without IPA.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/jewel-picker-upper-with-silicone-tips

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

The experts will weigh in I am sure (I am an amateur).  I think the answer is yes, you do.  If you do not, you will not thoroughly clean the area between the bearing and cap jewel.

This is a personal choice if it is your own watch and are not striving for perfection.  However, if you are aspiring to be a watchmaker, you have to be willing to take on all the tasks that professional watchmaker would take on.  If you watch Mark's videos, there is not a single screw left unscrewed (as I recall).

These, are easy.  Yes those screws are small, and you risk losing one.

I would remove the cap jewel, drop it in one-dip, then put it on watchmaker's paper...rubbing it along to clean it thoroughly.  Then put oil on the cap jewel and replace it.  All this, of course, after running the plate through the normal cleaning cycle.

Thank you @LittleWatchShop. I was hoping since my donor movement didn't have those cap jewels, i could skip this. I'm still at the stage where striving not be break something is stronger than striving for perfection... 🙂 But yes, Mark's videos would not allow this either. I do have one-dip.

2 hours ago, Malocchio said:

You have to remove them to properly clean the cap jewel and the jewel hole. If you don't have an automatic oiler, my suggestion would be picking the cap jewel with a jewel picker from the top side, oiling the jewel and putting it back in its place with a help of tweezers. Jewel picker is much safer than tweezers if you don't like flying parts. I also clean cap jewels by picking them with a jewel picker and rubbing against paper with and without IPA.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/jewel-picker-upper-with-silicone-tips

Thank you @Malocchio. And thanks for the link to the Jewel Picker Upper. I learned about a new tool today and will pick one up "most rickety tick" as we used to say in the Army.