PUW 1460 movement - confused. Questions on mainspring and jewel covers.

Got hold of a lovely old Stowa watch and it has a PUW 1460 movement. To date I’ve been working on Swiss movements and the PUW has a few different features and ways of doing things.

I have a couple of questions regarding the mainspring and two of the jewels on the mainplate.

The mainspring is the type that has the arbor attached to the barrel and simply twists to separate the two parts of the barrel (described on the Cousins site as Barrel With Hollow Centre Stud & Driving Wheel). My issue is with the mainspring. As you can see from the attachment, the tail of the mainspring appears to slot behind another section of the barrel, and it’s not something I’ve come across in my limited experience. Is this going to be a pain to re-install as replacement springs don’t seem easy to come by? I also realise that it is inserted anticlockwise, and only having right hand winders will try and get around this by installing the spring into a ring that came with a new spring, then flipping it over.

The second question relates to a couple of jewels on the motion works side of the movement. They are two small rectangular covers that can’t be removed, nor can I get an oiler in the gap. Is the only alternative to lubricate from the over side through the jewel hole? It is a pain as one of the jewels is for the escape wheel and I don’t have an oiler small enough.

Still it’s interesting to be working on something different.

as1686 1.jpg

as1686.jpg

Edited by SpringMangler

• SpringMangler changed the title to PUW 1460 movement - confused. Questions on mainspring and jewel covers.