Adapting A Seiko 7009 Automatic To Quartz

Apart from my collection of quartz watch, pride of place goes to my Seiko 5 7009.  In fact I have 3, one of which is virtually new, and the other 2 I wish to adapt to quartz (I have a lovely SEIKO dial ready for this).  Problem:  to find an acceptable quartz movement, whose opening for the day/date match as closely as possible.  The closest I get is a Miyota 1S02, but the shaft/spindle height is not enouth (1.51mm).  Any ideas where I can find an adequate movement?

I attach a pici of the main dimensions.

post-834-0-34540100-1431075361_thumb.jpg

Hi boblalux,

If I'm not mistaken,  you can get certain movements with different pinion heights, maybe not the 1SO2? . In my mind, another Seiko quartz would be indicated but I don't know off hand which caliber. The reason is that manufacturers tend, - just tend, - to keep cases and therefore movement dimensions quite equivalent. Of course, there are models and models and cases to accommodate them...all that said, you have more chances to find a quartz movement to fit its own brand case for a case that was not originally for quartz. Not a hard rule written in stone and more that once it fails no matter what.

I could also add that quartz movements are designed with dials, hands and components resistant to magnetism which is not necessarily the case for mechanical/automatic watches. Even dimensions of dials (mainly thickness) and hands and how light they might be could vary considering quartz is a "lighter" movement. This last part is IMHO.

On the other hand, cousinsUK sells the 7S36, NH36 and so on. Those are the "same" or "equivalent" family of movements but improved over time. You will have more chances to swap the old movement directly with the newer versions than to find a quatz with the proper dimensions. The advantage of the newer NH36 is that it hacks and hand winds in addition of all the old features. Since I believe the 7009 doesn't have a date feature, you can use instead the NH35 but for the difference in price I'd go with the NH36 (coupe of quid cheaper). The date will be hidden under the dial.

I hope it helps,

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks, Bob,

Have already checked with the SEIKO quartz movements Hattari (SII and Epson), and they don't seem to have anything appropriate in their online "catalogue".  The Seiko hands are "holed" with larger diameters, so I will have to order special quartz movement hands with 170/70/17 anyway.  In fact, the 7009 does have a day/date feature. 

As I already have a mechanical SEIKO (7009), I wish that the remaining 7009-3140 case has a quartz movement and therefore a NH36 or a 7S36 doesn't come in question.  - Can't keep all my automatics moving and wound up!!

Thanks again,

Bob

Edited by boblalux