Too Good To Miss?

I have been searching for a reasonably priced quartz chronograph and came across this at £29.99, it has a Japanese movement,  probably Seiko and a 1 hour chronograph. I thought this was a very good deal and so I am now the proud owner of this modern timepiece.  I am still looking for used mechanical watches in need of TLC,  although probably the last thing I need is more watches.

RogerC

post-37-0-86710000-1391378693_thumb.jpg

You can't complain at £29.99, can you? It's interesting that what started out as a Russian firm is now a British distributor of Asian watches. The quartz  revolution made mincemeat of the traditional watch industry, and the break-up of the Soviet Union also played its part in Sekond's change of face.

When you say mechanical watches in need of TLC, do you mean working one(s) that you want to service yourself - or non-working ones that you want  to bring back to life? You can pick up some bargains on eBay. I've just grabbed this Caravelle - which is part of the Bulova company:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVELLE-VINTAGE-MECHANICAL-WATCH-1960s-VGC-GOOD-TIME-KEEPER-/301078299592?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=RHyaPIbVKnPKM4tBTf5Dt%252BNDu3s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I'll see what it's like when I get it - check the running, etc. - and decide whether it's a keeper or one to re-sell.

Hi Will,

That Caravelle looks nice and clean and well worth adding to your collection.

I suppose I am looking for non working mechanicals at bargain prices that just need cleaning and oiling to restore them to as new condition.  I am going to a Clock & Watch fair at Haydock park on 23.02.2014 just to see what is available.

RogerC

Ah, I saw the Fair being advertised on the BHI website - too far for me, I'm afraid. They have fairs in Birmingham and at Brunel Uni each year, but I'm reluctant to go without a wodge of cash for that special bargain... Too busy getting my current lot cleaned/repired - and saving for yet another guitar!