majesus

fixing a flikflak watch strap

Question

Hi, my 4 year old daughter has a Swatch Flik Flak watch. She snagged it on something this afternoon and the strap is partially falling out as shown in the 1st photo.  How do I remove the strap pin? The strap pin looks a "dumbell" and one of the endspins while the other end does not.  It tried spinning it to see if it is threaded and screws out, it did not come apart. I also pulled and pried with a little force, nothing came undone.

I also search on google and youtube, but had no luck. Hopefully I can get some help here.

367322713_20190112_194153(Large).thumb.jpg.ee702174fe46a416f73a937ffd281ad7.jpg1240548057_20190112_194248(Large).thumb.jpg.c3258e83ff7bc57625ac7091090f9cfc.jpg

Thanks,
Majesus

1 answer to this question

These kind of watch strap bars are called 't-bars' and would normally be threaded allowing removal by a screwdriver.

For a mass produced watch like this - and perhaps even for safety reasons if it is a child's watch - I'm reckoning two parts are simply hydraulically pressed together at the factory and not intended to separated. This tight interference fit is also likely as it's noted this is not a normal strap (with lugs that a bar goes through) and is held in by the friction of the factory fitted bars.

Best bet is probably some epoxy glue to fix the strap in place temporarily and a new watch goes to the top of the birthday list. B)