ETA 255.483 New movement problems

Hi everyone,
I'm fishing for help from someone smarter than me please!

I picked up a now discontinued Tissot PR 100 Moon-phase in nice condition but non-working and decided to buy a new movement - possibly lazier than stripping & cleaning, but I guessed an electronic failure rather than mechanical was the most likely culprit and I don't have quartz movement testing equipment or know-how. I bought the replacement 255.483 movement from a trusted U.K. Horological supplier on a no-return basis...ETA's attitude to movements is that they are infallible, they leave their factory in perfect condition and if they don't work it is because the fitter has damaged it...hence the retailer cannot return it to them, hence the end user cannot return it to the retailer. The chances of being sold a duff new movement, even if discontinued by ETA, seemed small so I gambled the £65 I paid for it on low odds of disappointment.

I've installed the new movement and it is working but keeps slowing in fits & starts losing several hours over 24hrs. I've tried everything I can, checking hand heights etc & even removed dial & hands & fitted the seconds hand only to the bare movement & watched it tick....it still slows intermittently but frequently. I've tried new batteries, two different batches - no change.

Does anyone know if I'm being dumb & missing something? Any special set-up procedure I don't know about? Hands were fitted before the battery, stem in position 3.

I'm thinking of stripping & cleaning in case some oil has congealed due to non-use for several years while sat on the retailer's shelf but it's a fairly complicated movement & a last resort for me....nothing to lose but time & effort, but there may be something simple I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!
David (amateur but fairly experienced repairer)

1st of all, Cousins no-returns policy is not set in stone. You need to talk with'em on the phone. And if you believe it's appropriate, you can always claim with your credit card issuer.

You can strip and reassemble the old mov.t. If still doesn't work you can take the circuit (and.or the coil, if separate) from the new one. 

Edited by jdm

1st of all, Cousins no-returns policy is not set in stone. You need to talk with'em on the phone. And if you believe it's appropriate, you can always claim with your credit card issuer.

You can strip and reassemble the old mov.t. If still doesn't work you can take the circuit (and.or the coil, if separate) from the new one. 

Thanks for that....I haven't telephoned as yet - it's a difficult one - plus I hadn't considered the credit card aspect which is a possibility. :)