Stetting lever of ETA 2550 broken

·        Hi everyone,

I bought a couple of ETA 2550 / 2551 on ebay for little money to practice. They are small but I handle that pretty well. Actually better than expected.

When I disassembled the first 2550 I noticed that the hairspring was broken. The overall condition of the movement was poor.

I disassembled the movement and cleaned it in the Ultrasonic. I am aware that this is the second best option but I don't have a cleaning machine and the results were excellent so far.

When I started reassembling the watch I began to attach the setting lever, and the other parts of the keyless work. After I was finished I tried the mechanism and had the stem with the crown in one hand and the movement in the other. I then remembered that I noticed that the finish on one end was bad, at least this is what I though.

After thoroughly inspecting the setting lever it became evident that one of the pins broke away. The one that fits in the stem.

My questions are:

1) Can ultrasonic cleaning break parts like this?

2) It seems that the part was intact before I disassembled it. I remember that the keyless system has worked. What can break a part like this?

You can see the fracture point pretty well on the picture.

Thank you for your support

Alexander

IMG_3392.JPG

Hi Alexander,

IMHO: I've never had a case where the ultrasonic had broken any parts, eroded the finish yet (the baskets mainly). In my mind, that part was either already broken (maybe even glued together) or cracked which then it is understandable the ultrasonic worked its way into the already weak part. In either case, the part was already broken and not fit to be reused.

All I can say is try and source another one as a replacement and soon the movement will be ticking away...with also a new hairspring?

Best of luck,

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Thank you Bob, I just wanted to make sure. I assume you also use an Ultrasonic machine for cleaning. Since I have five 2551 movements I think there will be also another one with broken parts. I may use the disassembled one for spares and move on to the next movement. I found one that is at least working when I wind it. Let's see.

Thanks again

Cheers Alexander

Exactly what I do Alexander! Yes, the unfixable one must sacrifice to make the other movements live again! :) 

It is funny but even when I use parts from the "sacrifice" I'm always looking for a way to "make it up" to it by ultimately finding the missing parts it needs! I'm currently working in a similar movement (in size) but from Orient...it is not as small after all or maybe my eyes are getting better! :)

Yes, my ultrasonic has been busy with those small parts...no part has broke, even the smaller ones come out just fine. Do you have a powerful ultrasonic? Mine is a regular jewelry one but pretty good:

GemOro Sparkle Spa Pearl Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner 2015 New and Improved Model

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob,

yes, I have a quite poweful one. I only use 3min using a 1:9 cleaning solution from which smells like ammoia. Parts are really nice afterwards. But I also experienced that that it may harm the finish on older parts or parts of poor quality.

I have a set of tiny baskets. They are cheap and work perfectly. I have a sufficient amount and use one basket / cage for only one department of the tray, for instance the barrel bridge and its screws. I still tend to confuce the screws so I keep them with the assemblies where they belong.

I will now move to the next 2551 and see how it works. To get an idea of where to start I use the ETA training material which is available online (Flash only) for the 2824-2.

http://www.eta.ch/index.php?id=161&L=0

Cheers Alexander

WatchPartBaskets.JPG

Excellent link, Alexander, I have used it too.

I also clean 3 min in the ultrasonic but put water in it and the baskets with the parts in a beaker with the solutions (L&R in my case) and then the beakers in the water. Discoloration and such only happens on the baskets since they go repeatedly into the ultrasound. The parts come out fine...sometimes I "sound" them again when I'm not pleased with the finish and they come out still fine. Total time is about 7 to 9 min total: 3 min clean + 2 cycles of rinsing that could be 3 + 1 or 3 + 3....depending.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob,

what I do is:

• 3min ultrasonic with the cleaning solution, 
  • wash out with water under the faucet
  • dip every part in benzine to prevent damage from the water
  • take away the excess benzin with a rubber blower
  • place them on special drying paper.

Quite a procedure but it forces me also to look at every single part and I see damage earlier. OK, in this case not ;-)

I'm happy with the results.

Cheers Alexander

Edited by AlexanderB
  • Like 1