I recently bought a Bergeon Magic Wiper sheet as I grew tired of losing small metal parts, and it paid for itself in the first use.  I was surprised that it actually found the small spring I have been hunting for as I felt the magnet was no stronger than a refrigerator magnet.

The question I have is this... In using the Magic Wiper, you are to use the adhesive to fold it over... I haven't done that yet as I am wondering if this wouldn't benefit from possibly a stronger flexible magnet being attached to it?  I was actually surprised that they sell a Neodymium flexible magnet strip that I could cut to size.  It seems to have good review on Amazon, but you can't always trust that.

Anyhow, I will be using this on carpet (I know, not ideal, but that is what I have to work with), so giving this tool all the advantage is what I am looking to do.  Hopefully those of you who have had more experience with the Magic Wiper can comment on the strength of the magnet.

i bought a pack of small neodymium magnets (they come in different strengths and sizes) and fitted them (using their own magnetism) to an old metal letter opener.  I then use this to sweep around the floor (I also have carpeting) and into the nooks and crannies.  I can add or detach individual magnets to adjust strength. You can also sweep your clothing and hair/beard!! 

I have just used it in the garden when repairing some fences to delve through the soil to find the driver bit which went awal.!!

You'll have to demag the part you find by this method before fitting to watch etc.

If non-magnetic or the above fails to find the item, then the old brush and pan to sweep the floor can be very successful.  If item is magnetic then a poke around with the magnet in the sweepings may find it.

After that, it is wrap some gaffa tape round your hand (sticky side out, of course) and roll your way round the floor etc. Then inspect with eyeglass or scope.  Found many a cap jewel this way.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sadly, I do have carpet, but you've got to work with what you got.  I do have a chair mat to cover part of the carpet at least.  I tried using a stack of neodymium magnets for sweeping the floor, on my hands and knees.  Then I found this rather inexpensive 12" wide magnet at the hardware store.  I haven't lost a part lately, but I expect that it will be better than the stack of magnets.  Plus I can telescope the handle and not have to crawl around on the floor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-Telescopic-Magnetic-Pick-Up-Tool-95212/300998736

3 hours ago, gpraceman said:

Sadly, I do have carpet, but you've got to work with what you got.  I do have a chair mat to cover part of the carpet at least.  I tried using a stack of neodymium magnets for sweeping the floor, on my hands and knees.  Then I found this rather inexpensive 12" wide magnet at the hardware store.  I haven't lost a part lately, but I expect that it will be better than the stack of magnets.  Plus I can telescope the handle and not have to crawl around on the floor.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-Telescopic-Magnetic-Pick-Up-Tool-95212/300998736

The good thing about carpet is that the part tends to stay more or less where it lands instead of bouncing over into some hidden corner at the far end of the room. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...