Competition I Shock Absorber Qualco 11y2m8 Antichoc

1.thumb.jpg.e971b076d575825ac2b2309fcbf8f40e.jpg2.thumb.jpg.b007313eb82cef9a27e02bff4b55cddb.jpg3.thumb.jpg.efc2e0c9545e9974c72864672c5134c6.jpg4.thumb.jpg.a01d2a5d79aadd0556ff088cd3508b54.jpg5.thumb.jpg.d4900423b441a28c22447b63e2224e99.jpg

This is another rarity/oddity that I've come across. I had to research who this manufacturer was so I search on the model number 11Y2M8 and came up with "Qualco" in the Emmy Watch database. I couldn't find any other information about "Qualco Watch" and originally thought this was part of Benrus' Shock Absorber line but I can't find any link between the two companies. I also had to figure out the shock system since it looks like an Incabloc "lyre" but it isn't, it's an "Antichoc". This movement was a bit of  a stinker to work on, the shock system took some figuring out and I had a dickens trying to get the train bridge back in alignment. It resembles an ETA 1080 but it's worst to realign. The mainspring is "upside down" with the barrel cap on the arbor screw side so it fits in with a LH spiral. It has a waterproof case with an exhibition back and the movement comes out through the front. You'll need a crystal lifter to remove the front and back. The balance has a moveable end stud for BE correction and I was recording stellar amplitude because I don't know what the lift angle is suppose to be and it probably isn't 52. I couldn't quite get it to COSC but I don't think it was designed to be a chronometer. Sometimes I'm just happy they go back together and tell time within a minute. 

I suppose this watch dates back to the mid '60's and was marketed to cash-in on the hot-rod fad...W.

• Like 1