Henri Sandoz et Fils

eezy

Just acquired this for less than the cost of a bar meal. Unmarked stainless steel top and back and chromed centre.

Measures 28mm across the crystal so it's small by todays standards. Model 1761Y - 88

It was running quite fast. I demagnetised it which slowed it down a bit and am now in the process of regulating it.

I wonder does the 88 refer to the year of manufacture?

Henri Sandoz fils.jpg

Henri Sandoz fils rev.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The pipe is missing from the case for the waterproof button to fit over. At present it is vulnerable to dirt and dust.

I would say that type of design was popular around the late 80’s

Now you mention it, is does look rather open. Thanks OH

On 10/25/2018 at 10:43 PM, chrisdt said:

Does it have the  FHF ST 96 movement?....Plenty of spares if it does.

Sorry for the late reply, just spotted your post.

I think it is the ST96 but I don't know the difference between 90 and 96?

25 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

fast? dirty or oily hairspring?eyeball it while running, is it sticking to itself?

Until I get my new scope I'm struggling to see close up. When it arrives I'll have a good look. I'm partially deaf as well so can't hear it but mrs eezy says it sounds like it's on steroids :D

• Like 1

Like my father said, "I don't need glasses, My arms are too short"! try off the shelf reading glasses.they don't magnify but they let you focus closer .I use plus 1 for reading and plus 3.5 for close up work and a 10 x loupe for magnification.Mrs Yankeedog tells me I need hearing aids... I tell her to talk to me like I am her mother on the phone !Because when she does I can hear every word 20 feet away.What kind of bike is that?

36 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

Like my father said, "I don't need glasses, My arms are too short"! try off the shelf reading glasses.they don't magnify but they let you focus closer .I use plus 1 for reading and plus 3.5 for close up work and a 10 x loupe for magnification.Mrs Yankeedog tells me I need hearing aids... I tell her to talk to me like I am her mother on the phone !Because when she does I can hear every word 20 feet away.What kind of bike is that?

Yep telescopic arms would be handy. Got reading glasses. It's when bits go pinging off there's a problem. My hearing aids are ok but they just amplify sound, they don't clarify it.

I'll have another look and try and video it. Thanks.

I have an 04 Honda 750 shadow aero.I can't fault it as a machine.I had to change the seat.because it was awful...and put Harley foot pegs on it as I don't have Japanese feet. It could be just a little larger.but it's probably the best bike I have ever owned.

• Like 1

looking at it, the movement looks a bit oily. its not uncommon for internet sellers to do this.oil a watch so that it runs . its not a crime but often it gets overdone. from what I can see i think you have a case of an oily hairspring, if you look at the video you will notice that the coils of the hairspring are not concentric.It appears that they are sticking together under the balance cock. because of this the balance doesn't get to go through its full swing , shorter swings equal greater frequency. which translates into a fast watch. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi eezyrider,

This is probably a 'Bombay Special', one giveaway is the hammered finish. If the movement is signed 'Sandoz' you may see the words in the 'Sandoz' is different from other markings, eg 17 jewels..swiss etc. The shock protection is also pretty basic compared to Incabloc.

The case is probably repolished and the dial is a repro but its not the worst i've seen and I've seen a lot of gaudy Bombay Specials!.

The main thing is the watch was probably put together by someone who wasn't too concerend about cleaning and making up for it with a bottle of no-name oil so it could benefit from a service. The hairspring in particular looks out of center, as pointed out by yankeedog, Once serviced it would probably keep decent time.

You may get it running better by just cleaning the hairspring and balance jewels but a full service is better. Not sure how much this will cost in your part of the world but I bet its more than a bar meal so it may not be worthwhile.

Anilv

since it is running , I would try cleaning the hairspring first. as anilv mentioned a proper service is best, but unless you are willing to do it yourself the cost of having it done professionally would be cost prohibitive.hairspring cleaning isnt too tough you can probably get away without taking the movement out of the case,unless you have a movement holder, you will need a proper screw driver and tweezers... and your wife's eyebrow tweezers will not work...trust me on that I am a knuckle head who had to learn the hard way. remove the whole balance assembly , place it inverted  in a bowl filled with brake cleaner, gently move the balance wheel up and down. this will clean the oil off the hairspring. let dry and gently replace the assembly. be patient....once it is in place the watch should start ticking. if you are happy with it, call it a day and wear it.dont leave it the cleaner more than a few seconds, it will attack the adhesive that keeps the impulse jewel in place, and you will be borked and cursing me for the next ten years.

Thanks Anilv and YD.

I'm just waiting for my Christmas prezzie microscope and then I'll have a go at taking it apart.

YD, I'm glad you mentioned the jewel. I was going to take the balance and drop it in lighter fluid for a few hours. I take it that is not a good idea then?

Anilv, yes I realise there's a risk of ending up with a 'Mumbai special' when buying these sort of brands but this was from an English seller not that that proves anything. The case is different to the usual in that it is  tonneau shaped and brushed steel. It has the proper movement ring and not the often used plastic spacer inside. 

Cosmetically the watch is in new condition, it would be nice to get it working right.

Hi.

The ST90 and its varients differ by date, day date, ..so.on.

Following strip down, I instal the balance and cock on the mainplate, drop in lighter fluid and Slowly rotate the container.soaking period can be as long as you want. Upon removal I let the fluid evaporate, you can rotate the mainplate to get the balance wheel oscilate. I do every watch with no mishap.

Regards joe

Respectfully Nucejoe, I disagree.I have had an impulse jewel fall out on me after too long of a soak ,it is my opinion that the varnish that holds it in place gets dissolved ,maybe I am wrong on this, the jewel may have fallen out for some other reason.But I am just passing along an experience, one that I would not care to repeat. same thing goes for the pallet jewels, the varnish that holds them in place is easily dissolved.