My Workbench....

mwilkes

...is a 19th century secretaire which is the perfect height, when using a low chair, for watch work. With a high stool it's perfect when I'm using my microscope (an old Olympus I picked up on the 'bay). I always like seeing other peoples' benches so I thought I'd share mine. I'm currently working on an omega 1020 movement - the cannon pinion is a real pig...

post-148-0-80888600-1414450285_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I really envy those who have a dedicated work space. I have to set up and take down all my tools every time I work. My dream is to have my own separate room with air filtration and separate climate control. When I was a kid, my dad built a darkroom in our house. It would have been great for watchmaking.

I really envy those who have a dedicated work space. I have to set up and take down all my tools every time I work. My dream is to have my own separate room with air filtration and separate climate control. When I was a kid, my dad built a darkroom in our house. It would have been great for watchmaking.

Before I had a dedicated area, I knocked this up, maybe useful to you, when I started off I needed a temporary space that would go away neatly.

http://watchinprogress.com/diy-table-top-homemade-watchmaker-bench/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Amazing selection of tools! I'm only just starting to do the mechanical watches myself, we still outsource a lot of them though, I'm not confident at anything more than a day/date automatic right now! so buying new stuff each week, it's just so expensive!

Amazing selection of tools! I'm only just starting to do the mechanical watches myself, we still outsource a lot of them though, I'm not confident at anything more than a day/date automatic right now! so buying new stuff each week, it's just so expensive!

Every time I look up a tool I might need they all end up being $40+ even for small hand levers.  I'm just going to start buying one item per month until I have a collection like Bob. Wife seems fine with it.... as long as she can also buy something for herself monthly too. 

Edited by BlakeL

Every time I look up a tool I might need they all end up being $40+ even for small hand levers.  I'm just going to start buying one item per month until I have a collection like Bob. Wife seems fine with it.... as long as she can also buy something for herself monthly too. 

Let her buy the groceries ....... :)

Well my next shopping list items are mainspring winder and staking set, when we bought the shop we inherited a lot of tools, like the pressure tester and back removers etc, a lot of them Bergeon too, but all mainly for Quartz work, battery changing etc

We used to keep them in baskets labeled A - Z but now we have a computer system and job numbers this works best. It's just an ikea rail and hooks what you use in the kitchen.

Do you put them in the safe at night to lessen your insurance?

Edited by Legarm