Nice pick up

transporter

Managed to pick this up over the weekend at an auction, prices were very high with quite a few bidders and half the lots from last year, but I managed to get this for £35 amongst a few other bits and bobs.

A swift clean as I was about to strip it down or send it off for repair, only because when I plugged it in it fizzed abit then stopped, so I was hunting around for places that sell parts etc etc whilst doing that I was doing the cleaning and stripping and was going through things logically so started with the fuses and yes the one in the plug had gone, to be fair it was an “ever ready” brand so god knows how old it was. 

Anyway i swapped it out and plugged it back in (tank half full with water) and turned it on, well it ran and ran with no problems. Gave it the tin foil test and this was the result after 30 secs or so.

A nice amount of even destruction to the foil, im quite happy with my purchase and looking forward to putting it to good use.

E2559DC6-9132-4C60-B062-B859088B210D.jpeg

068F7429-2257-4489-B158-594CCB404A77.jpeg

Nice catch! My small sized ultrasonic looks like the toy it probably is besides that one.

Your mentioning of alufoil test made me curious. Can you expand a bit on that topic?

Should one really expect the foil to be ”eaten” like that in the ultrasonic? Was this using some cleaning solution or just pure water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see a dirty chiming movement to the right that needs a bath. Congratulations on your purchase.

I see the sticker says Southern Watch and Clock suppliers. I used to get my watch and clock parts and a few tools from them. They were in Orpington Kent. They closed years ago.  

2 hours ago, bsoderling said:

Nice catch! My small sized ultrasonic looks like the toy it probably is besides that one.

Your mentioning of alufoil test made me curious. Can you expand a bit on that topic?

Should one really expect the foil to be ”eaten” like that in the ultrasonic? Was this using some cleaning solution or just pure water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen this tip around the forums but it is actually on L&Rs website, they say you should see pit marks and slight damage, I will say that the foil I used was the thinnest foil I could find.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I see a dirty chiming movement to the right that needs a bath. Congratulations on your purchase.

I see the sticker says Southern Watch and Clock suppliers. I used to get my watch and clock parts and a few tools from them. They were in Orpington Kent. They closed years ago.  

Yes you do see a chiming movement there, there are 2, one is my fathers from his grand mother clock, I had it before but it wasn’t running right, first 3 train movement that I had worked on, so I have it back to see what I missed the first time, the other is for spares, just incase. As for SWC from Orpington you are correct shame they stopped trading.

they