Timex Movement Assembly Tip

Not sure how many Timex people there are on this board, but I'll post this here in hopes that this may help.

There are two plates in many Timex movements: 1) the dial plate, 2) the movement plate.  If you find yourself separating the plates, all the gearing falls out.  Fun!  At some point you hopefully decide to try putting things back together.  If you find yourself in this predicament, put the dial side down and insert all parts into the dial side first.  Doing this helps keep all the pins lined up vertically, so that when you attempt the put the movement plate on its just a little less of a PITA.  Picture attached.

Thanks, Mike

SAM_3748.JPG

Edited by AlamedaMike

well, this post inspired me to take another approach at a full Timex tear down and rebuild. " Oh right they are riveted together"

anyway.... I found that leaving in the temporary stem was a big help.  Also when I was about to place the back plate back on I turned the movement as you see in the pic.  This allowed me to drop in in at a 45 degree angle with ease.   WIth just a slight lift of the pallet fork with that tool front right, the plate slipped right on. 

BTW, the reason I took this one apart was to replace the mainspring.  so far she is running happy. 

model 106.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

well, this post inspired me to take another approach at a full Timex tear down and rebuild. " Oh right they are riveted together"

anyway.... I found that leaving in the temporary stem was a big help.  Also when I was about to place the back plate back on I turned the movement as you see in the pic.  This allowed me to drop in in at a 45 degree angle with ease.   WIth just a slight lift of the pallet fork with that tool front right, the plate slipped right on. 

BTW, the reason I took this one apart was to replace the mainspring.  so far she is running happy. 

model 106.JPG

Very nice.  Yep, leaving the stem in does help as it keeps the winding cog and its two plates in place.  Just have to be careful not to handle the stem too much, else it can pull out.