Umm, wow. That's an amazing change! I imagine part of it is from a new crystal? I the pencil rubber method doesn't work I might have this give this a shot. I'm a bit leary about using such harsh chemicals. Perhaps I'll do like you did and buy some old dials off ebay and practice. Thanks for the suggestion!
Its been a month or so since I've been on here. I've added a couple clean and lubes under my belt, one very successful, the other a little finicky, both on the 2414A movements.
I got a 2416B watch off ebay that was sold as non running. its got a gorgeous face but the movement hid some awful secrets...
There are some issues with the automatic winding complication but I'm focusing on getting it running first as I think the auto complication *should* work.
The most obvious issue I faced was a mangled center wheel from what seems like an even less experienced watch repairer than I. I have extras so I pulled it down, cleaned, lubed, and put back just the keyless works, winding assembly, and gear train. With the replacement center wheel, the pallet fork will bounce back and forth just nicely when barely nudged, but when you add the balance assembly, it barely wants to move. I've double checked the top and bottom balance jewels, tested with a different balance, and tested the original balance in another watch (works beautifully), and pulled it down and reassembled and made sure the drive moves smoothly sans pallet when wound.
I know it will be near impossible to remotely diagnose so I'm just looking for some methodical diagnosis tips to see what could be going wrong.
Some additional observations: The balance wheel had very little end shake. I noticed the first wheel had a slight bend to it, but when running sans balance, it didn't seem to cause a bind. I have extras of those so that can be my next step to replace.
what is watchweasol?
OP: i have been reslly researching on how to restore vintage dials and the people who do them professionally never want to give up their secrets, which kills me because Iam like, well, how did you learn??? anyway i tried all kinds of things, ultrasonic is a big NONO. i tried the boiling method and that only works on all metal dials with varnish and no ink on them. But my issue is i work on vintage copper, aluminum dials with original lume that are usually corroded with lime and grime, and every method i tried removes the lume. So i bought a lot of old metal lumed dials for $15 to experiment on and this is what i did and used.
This did not remove any lume or ink from the dial and did not scratch or damage it in any way: I first used CLR. I took a piece of pegwood and sharpened like a pencil, i then took q-tips and soaked them with the CLR then dabbed the dial with it to wet it. i then scratched at with the pointed pegwood like i was sketching with a pencil. little by little grime came off. i will gently wipe/dab the excess CLR off with a microfiber rag as i was cleaning before i applied a new dab of CLR i repeated this until it looks satisfactory. Then i soaked the pegwood and q-tip with WD40, and repeated the same process of scratching. the wd-40 protects shines and protects the dials metal finish. I didnt leave any excess on the dial just a thin coat wiped with a rag. and the before after result is attached.