Manipulating Hairsprings - The iPhone Method

I just thought I'd share this as it may be useful for another learner. By far the most difficult thing I've come across starting out in watch repair has been correcting bends in hairsprings. I've got the right tools, the right light, a powerful eye glass and a pile of scrap watches I've been practicing on. But I found time after time I was just making the hairsprings worse. I think part of my problem is that I'm slightly dyslexic and I find looking at the spiral really confusing sometimes. But I had a bit of break through last weekend which has dramatically improved my technique. Quite simply, I hold my eye glass up to my iPhone lens and take a close up picture of the hair spring. I then make a cup of tea and sit and look at the photo, zoom right the way in and really think about what I'm going to do. This is so much more effective than hunching over the hairspring and straining my eyes for long periods and losing patience. Once I've really thought about what I'm going to do, I go back to the hairspring with a clear strategy, ie, slight bend in, fourth from the centre at 3 o'clock. I apply the bend, take another picture and repeat. I know it sounds simple, but it's been a huge help to me and I'm finally having success :)

IMG_0992.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

There are some great videos showing the process. Which is essentially to grip the spring with a fine pair of tweezers close to the bend. And then very gently "stroke" the hair spring with a second tweezer opposite to the way it bends. I guess YouTube is blocked in Iran? Can't you use a VPN?

Vpn too is a moke here.

I am rather experience with hairspring manipulation, to think how less painstaking it would be using  USB microscopes is discusting. Your method is smart, making use of what is at most every body's disposal.

Regards joe.

• Like 2

Yes, that is something I've experimented with actually. For me putting the spring on a clean white sheet of paper helps. The other thing that's confusing manipulating a spiral shape is the fact your correction will change the gap between the spot you're working on and the coil further out but the gap further in will always stay the same! And several times I've reversed that in my head and wondered why my corrections are making the thing worse :D

When it comes to H/S manipulation  putting the spring on a white sheet of paper helps all to better see what the hell they are doing, are you putting us on? 

Even this fellow :turkey: sees better what he ate , if put on a white sheet of paper. ha ha

Regards joe

• Haha 1

I am Dyslexic but never considered it a barrier to manipulating hairsprings. After distroying many Hairsprings I developed my own methods.  For me stroking the hairspring with a pin works better than stroking it with a tweezer. Also a microscope was the other great help for me. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...