Hello! Tudor Cal 1182 stem problems!

cduke

I am new to the site and have recently started in watch repair as a hobby for myself only.  I recently acquired a Tudor 7903 with an 1182 movement.  Resetting the stem has given me some trouble.  It does not want to fully go back into the time set/ winding mechanism.  It does go in far enough to wind but no further.  I have read where taking the face off to get to the time set levers/pinions will allow me to get the time set position but before doing that I wanted to know if there was any "trick" to get the stem back in on this movement.  Any ideas?

Thank you very much

Hi there.

Tudor, that would  be eta1182.  Stem winds , that is how far in the stem is suppose to insert. Are you fitting a new stem? The same old stem ?

Did the stem function before you removed it? Not clear what the problem is.

Please describe the problem and a bit of the story how you came to face the problem.

And a picture of set lever may help.

Rgards joe.

@cduke; I'm sure somebody would have jump in this thread, given enough time ...... Oh, you see, Nucejoe just did as well :)

To continue the answer given in the introduction section there is another thing you could check. Here the same picture again

Keyless.jpg.f540b1edb53d9a850835136678b3c5f7.jpg

Some cover plates do have a kind of spring, holding down the clutch lever. If the clutch lever is not hold down enough, it is more prone to jump out of the clutch groove.

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

Thanks Joe,

What happened is that the watch stem, which I believe to be original was properly fitted in the watch, however the stem collar was stripped. I replaced the collar but apparently did not remove the stem while in time set position but rather in winding position. When I went to reinsert the stem, it would not go in all the way as it had before.  This movement must be sensitive to this issue as Endeavor so kindly pointed out.  With the watch face off, I was able to trip the lever back to time set mode and inserted the stem to see that time set was possible, however after reassembling the watch, it must have gotten tripped out of position again.  I will again remove the face and try next time to assemble the watch without tripping the mechanism.

Does this make sense to you?  I want to avoid getting in the keyless works if at all possible.  This is above my pay grade.

• Thanks 1

You will find the keyless very simple.

Google keywords eta 1182 ranfft.  To see the movement pic, tech specifi, family and bunch of other info. Ranfft is a useful database to see pic of a movement before strip down.There you see the family among which eta 1080 is shown, and pic of keyless on your movement which is the same as eta 1080 among others in the family.

There may be no fault at the keyless of your watch. Or what endeavor pointed out. Especially no date plate in your way makes it easy ,fun and good case to familiarize with keyless.So I say ,go for the keyless, as long as you don,t brake staff pivots and use of a movement holder eliminates that risk.

I assure you it is not above above your pay grade and I will be with you till perfect results are achieved. Easy easy.

Regards joe.

• Thanks 1

If the movement is branded tudor, in house high grade ETA ,it is a jewel. We should discuss every step, let us see the pics as you progress please and good new screw drivers of the proper size, movement holder makes lots of difference to perform repair neatly.

Generally cheap movements are suitable to work on for less experiemced folks. The work is simple, the name of the game is not to screw up. So please don,t hesitate to ask and excercise caution, do not skip any point made, you will get your jewel working fine on your wrist.

Regards joe

If you haven't got it already try this....with the stem out tighten the set lever screw.push in the stem. it will not fully insert, but it will push the set lever in.loosen the set lever screw about a turn, and see if the stem will insert.if it does, tighten the set lever screw. you may find that set lever now engages the groove in the stem and things work as they should.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

If you haven't got it already try this....with the stem out tighten the set lever screw.push in the stem. it will not fully insert, but it will push the set lever in.loosen the set lever screw about a turn, and see if the stem will insert.if it does, tighten the set lever screw. you may find that set lever now engages the groove in the stem and things work as they should.

Good advice, with the presumption that lever rightly is engaged with the clutch groove. It seemed to me however that Cduke complaining about, that the stem acts unusual dispite repeated try. 

I fully agree with yankee to tighten the set lever screw and proceed as he say. We never know, that just might be it.

When it gets to the point where repeated tries fail to produce proper resilts, it gets frustrating, gets on ones nerves and that is the ingredient for ruining a movement.

So , seeing a picture helps as it did when cduke saw pic of the keyless.he now is sure , he can do it.and that fearless feeling goes a long way, plus taking a look all  components of the keyless to make sure only good parts are in when the back is closed. 

Cduke is hands on screwdriver .He pays attention. 

The stem has no choice but to function right.

Regards joe.

• Like 1

The return lever jumps out of clutch groove.

If this was an ordinary eta I would go as far as bending the return lever. On a tudor however it may come down to removal and inspection of all part in set mechanism as well as the hole in the mainplate where stems enter it. I look upon a tudor as a jewel.

So awaiting pic of the actual piece from cduke.

Regards  joe

Thanks Guys.  I also suspect that the new stem collar may not be compatible with the crown so I have ordered a different one.  I was able to trip the lever to the time set position and the stem fully inserted with the movement out of the case. First time!  I apologize for no pictures yet but I work during the day so the evenings are the only time for repair work and other!  Thanks to everyone for their very helpful input.  I will certainly post photos when I have something to share.

Regards and many thanks to all.

Hello All,

I removed the face of the watch and noticed that the set lever (detent) was elevated and almost off of the set lever screw. Is it the face that keeps this lever from coming off of the screw?  The stem is not in the movement but I understand that the pin on the underside of the lever is supposed to engage with the notch in the stem. Is this right and is it usual that this lever is not firm or set stable in the mechanism? It seems to me that this lever should be level even with the face removed. 

I will try to send a picture later today.  I am still waiting for parts to try and reassemble the stem and put it all back together.

Thank you

No , the face has nothing to do with set/ wind  works. All stem functins are totally independent and free of the face.You should visually test/check all functions with the face removed.

The set lever pin is to remain in stems groove in all stem positins.

Once the set lever screw is tightened, the set lever is to move freely for each function setting, it should be level in all stem positions, not rub/scrtch on mainplate.

Regards joe

• Thanks 1

from what I can see the 1182 is not very much different from an eta 1080. you can buy old neglected examples of these all day long as cheap as stinking mackerel on the internet.They might prove a very good way for you to learn your way around , and probably a good source of parts for this tudor... I am not 100% sure of parts interchange. BUT, I would say  that the probability is good.

• Thanks 1

Like endeavor said; Some cover plates have a sort of spring to push on the clutch lever so to keep the clutch lever from jumping out of the clutch groove, however, the diagram he provided lacks the spring he talks about( very unusal coverplate) , the picture ranfft provides dose show .

Show us the picture of the cover plate in your movement, If it dose have the said spring, I will mark it on the picture, we will discuss simple proceedure to bend the said spring to enhance it for keeping the clutch lever from jumping out.

I will then hand draw some sketch showing positions the right stem show have, in very pariticulare the postion of stem groove.

You are most welcome cduke, I awaiting to see the picture of the fixed watch on your wrist.

Regards joe

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It worked!  Thanks to all who chimed in with helpful advice.  The watch is now running and looking great.  Special thanks to Endeavor, Nucejoe and Yankeedog for all their useful knowledge.  Someone gave this watch up for parts and now it is a great timekeeper!1776511709_IMG_67421.thumb.jpg.1881a4346599ffa9614a20277f4c5bac.jpg