What Do You Think About This Chinese Copy?

Hello all! I'm trying to open another can of worms!

Mark did a service on a mechanical IWC:

Not related to that, I have been searching recently for a cheap chinese copy of 6498/6497 (don't ask me why, I'm not not exactly sure) and I stumbled upon:

http://www.amazon.com/Parnis-Mechanical-See-through-Watches-Leather/dp/B00KWC84RW/ref=sr_1_163?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1414320594&sr=1-163&keywords=parnis+mechanical 

What do you think about that? I mean it is 50 times cheaper (wild guess) and I suppose for some, it is 100 times uglier (ot other word of their choice).

But do you think it runs 50 times worse? For 100$ I will take the chance!

Thank you,

Bogdan

be sure that if I buy it, I will make a more in-depth review of the movement, or at least with more pictures.

Edited by matabog

Hi Bogdan - some time ago I made up my own watch - 6497 movement - from parts all bought from Hong Kong. Cost me around £100 in all. The movement was a Chinese 6497 which cost about £45. Now, it's obviously not as finished or perhaps as precise as the ETA 6497 I have in my Hamilton Khaki, but it's pretty damned good for £45 - and, so far, it's keeping excellent time when wound. So, if the price is right - take a punt on it. Here's mine:

post-64-0-85215600-1414321757_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-26279300-1414321762_thumb.jpg

Edited by WillFly

If you like it, then get it! If it happens to please or impress others then that is a bonus.

I have two high quality watches with Chinese movements, they are not trying to be copies of high end Swiss watches and excellent watches in their own right. Both of them keep time as well if not better than the top end Swiss movements I own.

Which are those two quality chinese movements, if I may ask?

Hi Bogdan, here are some photos of my Chinese powered watches.

The first is a Tourbillon fitted with a Liaoning movement, this is the same movement as fitted to the BHI 150 anniversary watch. Please note, protective plastic is still on the back hence the slight blemish in the middle.

imagejpg1-4.jpg

imagejpg1-5.jpg

The second watch is fitted with a Seagull chronograph movement.

imagejpg1-6.jpg

imagejpg1-7.jpg

When the swatch company imposes it,s no parts to the general trade next year we will all eventually have to use parts and movements from china away.

Sad, but a we are powerless to do anything about it.

How did they change the law RE car parts? Surely the same anti-competition law can be applied???

I used ebay to get some of these. So I ended up with a chinese 6497 clone and a swiss 6498 as per this link:

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/907-just-done-with-a-project-that-resulted-in-two/

I believe both are very reliable...for now.

I think this is another chinese movement:

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/922-biggest-ever-watch/?hl=biggest

Edited by bobm12

How did they change the law RE car parts? Surely the same anti-competition law can be applied???

Most of the major car manufacturers have plants within the EU and are ruled by free trade agreements. Smersh Spectre Swatch are Swiss and not part of the EU. Possibly they have deluded themselves into thinking that this is a cunning plan to combat the increasing threat from China, but I suspect it will end up like the Quartz revolution again.