New to this forum!

Timeismoney

Hello everyone! 

I’m new to this forum and was looking to get into horology and watch repair as more of a hobby and maybe build a private customer base in hothead future. I have a small collection of various watches and different brands. I was curious as to where I could find tools, and what are some tools that is should start out with. I don’t want to spend a whole lot of money but if the need be I will.

Thank you in advance 

Nick 

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

Members on this forum use this supplier a lot.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/

I always advice people that want to start up in horology to spend what you can afford. Buy cheap and they won’t last. Good tools will last you a lifetime providing you look after them. Here are few of what I had and I still have them today even though I retired from watch and clock making years ago.

Dumont tweezers

Bergeon screwdrivers

Eyeglass you will need various strengths

Case knife

I would also recommend starting on a pocket watch, there a lot bigger but are very similar to a bog standard wristwatch. Just practice taking it apart and putting it back, it doesn’t matter about getting it going. Get to know the names of the parts. This will give you good practice in managing to use your eyeglass, tweezers and screwdrivers. Don’t touch fusee pocket watches, as these are very different to what I call normal pocket watches.    

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My plan is to buy an ETA 6498 movement (more probably a Chinese clone like a Seagull) and a very few very basic tools -  Movement holder, loupe, screw drivers, and tweezers.  The advantage with going with the ETA 6498 is that it is a larger movement, inexpensive, and youtube is FULL of videos on how to disassemble & reassemble that particular movement.

I'll start with just removing the first major assembly.  Then I'll put it back, and check that the movement still works.  Next I'll remove the first and the second major assembly.  Then put them back and check for function.  At each step I'll quiz myself on the name of each piece as I remove it, as I look at them spread out on my workbench, and as I put them back into the movement.  Eventually I'll get to where I strip and reassemble the whole movement.

Then I'll buy a few more tools, a case, dial & hands, and assemble my first wristwatch "That I made myself."