Stereo Microscope

I'm considering getting a stereo microscope, around the £400-£500 mark. Someones recommended this one to me

Ebay item  191085725004

which I've almost brought a couple of times this week, but can anyone give me an alternative recommendation.Also having never actually used one (which is probably the reason I've hesitated on buying it) do they make life easier, are they easy to get to grips with?

Lee

Hi Lee,

That looks like a nice piece of kit, albeit somewhat over specified.

I have been using a Wild Heergrugg M5 now for about 4 years courtesy of an amazing car boot sale find and I wouldn't be without it. For me the advantages are a much better view of proceedings (obviously) and a much more comfortable working position as it allows a more upright seating stance, not so hunched up. Proper stereo is important for judging distance.

My setup gives me 6, 12, 25, & 50 times mag as standard but it came with an attachment which allows control over depth of focus and increases mag by a factor of 1.25. I use 6 & 12 for most stuff, 25 for hair spring work, and 50 for inspecting jewels and pivots. More than that is of little or no use. One very important factor is working distance (how much room between the watch and the object lens when in focus) as you have to be able to get your tools in there. Mine varies from 12-15cm if I remember rightly which is fine. The one you're looking at states 10cm but that may well change with different magnification, and if that is the max then it's worth asking exactly how it changes as this may well restrict its usefulness. One other word of warning; cleanliness takes on a whole new meaning under 50x mag. Be prepared to get a bit obsessive about it (not a bad thing in a watchmaker).

It's quite a lot of money to shell out though so worth asking about the working distance. And if restricting the mag to 50 - 75x saves money then that's worth considering as you won't miss the higher mag in practice.

Have fun.

• Like 3

to be honest I haven't the faintest idea what I need. the one I linked was one another watch repairer has & he sent me the link. the specs are boggling I assume I need a zoom version for ease? & I like taking images of things I do to (currently use a USB microscope & a camera.)

Lee

I'm considering getting a stereo microscope, around the £400-£500 mark. Someones recommended this one to me

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trino-Zoom-Microscope-with-Single-Arm-Stand-for-electronics-inspection-solder-/191085725004?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Equipment_ET&hash=item2c7d98c54c

which I've almost brought a couple of times this week, but can anyone give me an alternative recommendation.

Also having never actually used one (which is probably the reason I've hesitated on buying it) do they make life easier, are they easy to get to grips with?

Lee

Im looking for a stereo microscope myself. The only problem this microscope needs to be ordered from germany. I understand an adaptor is available to increase the working distance to 100mm from actual lens to subject. Rememeber also cheap zooms equals poor quality...better with fixed focal length. A microscope would definitely make life easier. There are others options which you can order from within the uk. Let me know your decision.

I got my Inspection style microscope from Brunel Microscopes ~ £180

http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/longarm.html it's excellent and having a longer focal length gives plenty of room for tools. I also bought a USB eyepiece camera to take watch movement photograph's

That looks a good option Odyseus. What like is the image viewing quality with the lens supplied...is their diopter adjustment.

Edited by djmcd

I did look at that one Odyseus which is why I asked the question "I assume I need the zoom version" because I liked the price of the Brunel one, but thought the eBay one seemed to have more spec.

I just got the standard version but I also bought lower power eyepieces too (x10 is standard and I also bought some X5 eyepieces). The microscope comes with three objectives and I use the lowest power one.

It really is an excellent microscope for working on watches !!

• Like 1

Unfortunately it's my experience that it just isn't possible to have all that you need in this game. There will always be another gadget, widget, or tool that you just can't do without. Or is that just me?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

These stereo arm microscopes are a lot easier to use and work with than loupes IMHO :)

Yes the BM1 doesn't have variable zoom. ( you have to change the objectives ) but mine is always set for minimum zoom and that's perfect for working on watch mechanisms. !!

If you look on my blog, you see some photo's taken with USB microscope eyepiece CAM !!

I hope you're getting commission for selling these? I too have been thinking about one for quite a while now.

This watch business fair gets a grip o' ye!

• Like 1

These stereo arm microscopes are a lot easier to use and work with than loupes IMHO :)

Yes the BM1 doesn't have variable zoom. ( you have to change the objectives ) but mine is always set for minimum zoom and that's perfect for working on watch mechanisms. !!

What is the distance between the centre of the vertical column and the centre axis of the objective lens when the extension arm is straight?