Urgos Grandfather Clock

Folkvisor

Hi All

I haven't been here for a while.

I'm working on an Urgos Grandfather Clock. The movement seems to be working fine but the clock isn't free-standing. It's in the middle of a China cabinet and there are no side access panels.

I am tempted to MAKE some with a chainsaw but, unfortunately, the owner doesn't like the idea. 

Does anyone have any experience with such creatures?

Dave

Thank you for your answer. Yes it's a modern movement - about 30 years old.

I got it out - took almost an hour. Putting it back in will be even more of a challenge I think. It will only go out the back. I'm hoping I'll be able to fix the dial before putting it back in. 

I'm just hoping everything will line up for the chime hammers. I marked everything before removing the movement but it doesn't seem to matter much. I think it's just a kind of hit and miss thing.

But after cleaning and oiling the clock works.

I got it in and it works. It was a LOT easier when I found out it came out the front of the case!!! After doing all kinds of other crap...

Anyway, it's in and working.

But I had a nice level clock shelf for it and it is now on a floor that isn't level so...whatever...

Thank you for your comments.

I found this to be necessary, if you want to find out more about Longcase clocks.

White Dial Clocks: The Complete Guide by Brian Loomes. Any book on clocks by Brian is worth every penny. Watch and clock makers of the world vol 1 and 2 are helpful in dating, comes in very handy if you  have to value clocks but very handy as reference books. Anything by Laurie Penman is worth having. Some of the books I had were very old must have been from around 1900 all out of print. I can write up for you how I would undertake repairing a longcase clock, if that would help you. Watch and clock supplies tend to stock more of the popular books.

I forgot these mags have a fantastic amount of information.

http://www.clocksmagazine.com/

I can second Oldhippy's recommendation of the clocks magazine.

I have a current subscription and it has some real gold in it, also if you are into social media Clocks Magazine also has a facebook group, but I tried to avoid Facebook myself even though I have an account

I am working on another Grandfather Clock.

I think it should come out the front if I can loosen - and later remove - the screws holding it on the saddle to move it back about 1/4 inch so the wooden face-plate can slide down and out. Taking the saddle off won't give it enough room to slide out and it is very awkward to get at it. There are also 2 screws in 2 brackets holding the movement in place on the pendulum side that need to be removed but I'm thinking they can be loosened and left in place until I can see my way clear to take the movement out.

I see no other way to do this safely.

Do you have any advice regarding my idea(s)?