Which watches to select when on Holiday \ Vacation

JerseyMo

For me having to select a daily watch to wear is typically decided by the last one I have repaired.  But what to do when taking a few days away and not having access to the collection?

This is the challenge for today as I head to the New England seashore for few days.  I have selected these 3, a Royce chrono and Lucien Piccard for daytime wear and the Laco for evening.

How do you face this challenge?

DSC09218.JPG

Really good pic for New England ... congrats

In my opinion selecting the "ideal" set depends a lot on the destination.

Last March/April I had a 3 weeks trip in Vietnam with my wife.

We crossed from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City using alternatively cars, night buses, night trains, bicycles and even hiking and we slept (when not traveling at night)  in rental appartments, junks, homestays and luxury hotels.

I needed a set that could cover needs from tough daytime watch to elegant evening watch ... all waterproof if possible.

And I wanted to keep on hand my own country time, plus the time in Yamal peninsula as my younger son was there for a few weeks and we wanted to do some phone calls. 

I have selected only 2 watches to meet these criterias,  Explorer II (by far my most expensive) and Casio AE120WHD (one of my cheapest).

Explorer II white dial was perfect for the evenings, even in Majestic Saïgon's lounge, and quiet sightseeing days and Casio had to stand the most rough situations.

I had both French and Vietnamese time with both of them, plus "phone call" alarms on the Casio at 8AM Yamal time.

I tried a Bell & Ross diver's watch while waiting for a flight at Moscow airport but I had to keep some money for the trip :biggrin:

5 hours ago, manodeoro said:

I tried a Bell & Ross diver's watch while waiting for a flight at Moscow airport but I had to keep some money for the trip :biggrin:

I can relate to that, I stopped in a Brietling shop the other week while the Mrs was at Gucci.   Very tempting to have walked out with one.

But I resisted......well that's because I have my eye on a vintage date just.

I have quite a collection of watches but generally wear a beaten up old plastic Casio digital because i know its alway right and I dont have to remember to wind it. Except of course when I'm dining with the Queen or the Prime Minister then I wear a Rolex but then its a waste of time because they never notice.

I ask myself some questions:

Will I be travelling across timezones? If so, then I want to avoid watches with too many complications where changing the time back and forth could be a pain.

Will I be swimming or exploring dodgy neighbourhoods? If so, a disposable Casio needs to go in the bag.

Will I be dressing up for dinner? If so, Orient Bambino goes in the bag.

Will I be going through airport security several times? If so, a bracelet is preferable to a band with a buckle because it's easier to put on again in a rush and bustle while repacking at the end of the line.

If none of the above, then pretty much any watch in the collection is good to go.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

On 10/11/2018 at 1:03 AM, chrisdt said:

I have quite a collection of watches but generally wear a beaten up old plastic Casio digital because i know its alway right and I dont have to remember to wind it. Except of course when I'm dining with the Queen or the Prime Minister then I wear a Rolex but then its a waste of time because they never notice.

I wear expensive pieces only when taking pictures, posing for portrat, such that one can,t miss the watch.

Whenever  I go away, I always take my Sekonda (£19.95) quartz watch with me and nothing else.

I don't want to lose it but, if for any reason it does go missing, I would rather it be that watch than 

one of my other expensive alternatives.

Mind you, it's getting that there is a high risk of 'losing' your watch here in the UK, now that law and order 

on the streets has all but disappeared. 

I'm going out, later on.

Now.....................where's that Sekonda of mine!?

• Thanks 1

I always remove my Rolex (when abroad) and I wear a Seiko diver that I re-furbed a few years ago.  For two reasons 1.  too risky with too many opportunist thieves about. 2. when purchasing items on holiday the Rolex increases the risk of being ripped off.
I speak from experience.

back from our trip and all worked out great.  We went to a dozen or more antique\vintage shops that ranged from very high end items to very affordable.  But, of the small selection of watches the prices were much to high.  For example a WW 1 era Waltham 15  jewel pocket GF open face for $350 --- If I go back there in 10 years it will still be in the show case!

The trip was topped off with a stop at a well known dockside food shack for a Connecticut style "lobster roll".  For those not familiar with what that is,   1/4 lb of steamed lobster meat with drawn butter in a toasted long bun.   and man was it DELICIOUS!

1 hour ago, Len33 said:

That looks good.

I don't know of anything like it here in the UK, but I do know of a few really good

pie 'n' mash shops.....................yummy!

now that is  not something I'm familiar with.  Any recommendations for one located in Kensington?  That is where the London office is located.

I usually try to diversify and bring maximum 3 watches depending on where im going. If its on a beach holiday i usually bring one watch for the beach, typically a sturdy waterproof beater and one casual watch and to top it of one smart casual or dress watch. That way i got something for every occasion. 

If im going on a business trip or a weekend city trip i only take a casual GMT watch and a waterproof watch depending on if im bringing the family along or else just a GMT.

I have a small fetish for GMT complication, dont really know why but i just love it when a watch has it, or a dual time.

Edited by Muligans

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2018 at 9:50 AM, JohnHutchins said:

My wife and I leave Washington State and travel in our RV south to Arizona, New Mexico and Texas in the winter. For every day I wear the Orient Stingray so I know what day of the week it is. Going out at night, I choose the Orient Bambino for dress.

Can you tell me what model is the Orient Day/ date ( white) .

Thanks,

F4FFB319-28D0-4241-8BF3-E9BA87C94853.jpeg

41 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

Cheap in case of theft or loss,simple  reliable and accurate and legible. after you service them you know which ones run best.

This cheap?  :D

CheapestOnEbay.thumb.jpg.408ef960bfa6e7909dab87699500fdb9.jpg

I'm tempted to buy one, just to see how bad it is. The experiment will only cost US $0.99 or approximately £0.78... the only thing is, I'd have to walk around with my arm in a brown paper bag so nobody could see it.

I'm on holiday at the moment, in India as it happens, and if I get a chance, I'm going to see if I can pick up a cheap HMT (or maybe two). I believe they used to grow them round here someplace. :lol:

Edited by AndyHull

I don't think you could wear that in India. It would rot on your wrist. if you don't like it send it to me..I think it would make a nice target at the rifle range..shiny...easy to spot....three bullseyes...I am waiting for two janatas to arrive from a state side seller.. seven bucks each delivered.. going to have to do something about the mahatma Gandhi dials

Edited by yankeedog
Content grammar