Hello!

marcusj

Hi! 

I'm new to watch maintenance - my expanding collection of mostly-Japanese watches has piqued my interest in fiddling with the guts. My collection mostly started through purchases from the old Poor Man's Watch Corner and the first of those (first series Seiko Orange Monster) is long overdue its first service. I did buy my first watch toolkit from Reto also. 

To date my work on watches has been limited to resizing bracelets, putting some nice domed, AR, sapphire crystals in a couple of Seiko 5's and last week I had my first go at regulating which went OK (I have a Chinese timegrapher). I'm still nervous about taking the backs off watches, or, better said, putting them back on without dirt getting inside and on the seal and therefore ending up with little or no water resistance. 

I'm enrolled on Mark's watch repair course and I'm currently half way through the second series (maintenance). For that I've ordered my first victim, a Chinese 6497 movement. 

I also just ordered a spares or repair Seiko 4205-0155 which will be a great challenge. I'm currently a big fan of medium / smaller dive watches like the Citizen NY0040, the Orient Ray II, etc. 

I also play with machine tools and 3D printer so I'd be interested in making any tools myself if the commercial option is priced to interest professional watch repairers - I'm thinking about a home-made mainspring winder, 3D printed model-specific movement holders, etc. 

That's about it for now

Cheers! 

Marcus

Great intro Marcus.  Horology is a great career or hobby, and there is plenty of good people on hear to ask help when required.  Don't forget to use the search function as there is a wealth of information stored in this forum from years of discussion.

Welcome,

Good part of wrok on watches is done with screwdrivers so good part of damages occure due to inexperience with use of screwdrivers.

First rule is to avoid apllying too much force. If the screw if a though guy  rust ,dirt....etc, Soften it with oil, put a bit  of cheap watch oil, brake fluid, B12 etc on the screws and let soak for a day.

Second rule to avoid going at a screw at oblique angle,. Hold Straight up prepndiculare to the plate.

Practice on already ruined pieces, dirt cheap ones , so you damage at the expense the previous watch destroyer.

Some people hold the the screwdriver near the blade with one hand and turn with the other for better control against  possible slide.

Once you get the hang of screwdriver, you have a BS in watch repair.

No point purchasing quality expensive screwdrivers initially, since you run them real quick before you learn proper use.so is the case with tweezers.

Movement holders  are different, get you a good one at first.

To save a lot of time askin others what goes where or internet search for diagrams, take picture at each stage of dis- assembly.

Once you start working for actual repair. Buy several pieces of same calibers  mostly in need of repair, that way you have cheap spare parts, and sample of what you are working on, if picture is of no help,several  the same caliber at your disposal are.

Thirdly you get to know the piece, its bad habbits, particulare culprtis and before long feel at ease with the caliber, all at little cost.

Fourth you have extra pieces to donate or sell also advices to give.

Fifth stay with this forum and learn as others post the stories of how they screwed up.

Sixth please don,t hesitate to contact me.

Regards joe