Can this be fixed?

FeeSan

Hi there!

I got this Oniss watch a years ago. It fell on a tile floor and broke off from the band. It’s my first ceramic watch so I don’t know if this can even be fixed but it broke off from the band and I could not find the piece that broke off. 

Can an this be fixed or is this watch done?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hello FreeSan,

On this friendly forum before making a post for help or advice. We like new members to introduce themselves. Just say a little about what you do and about yourself.

We like that to go into the Introducing Yourself Here. This is the link.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/forum/23-introduce-yourself-here/

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

On this friendly forum before making a post for help or advice. 

Members please do not reply until FreeSan has introduced themselves.

Friendly forum?????

She is obviously a young lady who has broken a prised possession, not a horologist or amateur repairer.

Edited by Geo
  • Like 2

I have made them large and bold so that they have a meaning. Mark and other Mods have never said anything. At the moment we are all trying to come up with a way so people who are asking one question and getting an answer and then they disappear. We do not want that to happen.

• Like 1

Lady feesan welcome.

Allow me to point out please that policies are means to adminster an establishment in systemic and orderly fashion. 

Do please if you will, introduce yourself in proper section.so advices be suitable.

Regards

Hi, 

Other than a new case, nothing in way of fixing would yield a descent result. Fitting this movement in a non breakable case is neither certain nor an option unless sentimntal values.

Best would be to avoid ceramics as you get a new watch.

As for this if you chosse to, post on ebay for parts, there are buyers there.

Regards

• Thanks 1

Hi Feesan,

As stated above the watch case cant be repaired and would have to be replaced.

I'm not familiar with the brand Oniss, but that's not surprising as I prefer older watches.

A quick look at where I buy most of my watch parts and tools from and I can see they don't even list the brand Oniss, which is the case with a lot of fashion brand watches.

If you can find a replacement case the movement could be swapped into the new case, but I don't think its likely you will be able to find a replacement watch case.

This is usually the issue with fashion brand watches, they may look great but it near impossible to get pasts for the case or band if needed. But on the flip side if the movement breaks they can be usually replaced.

As boring as it is, if you want a watch that can be repaired and kept working long term it really needs to be one with a metal case and lugs that will allow a generic watch strap fitted if the original one breaks.

Ceramic watches look cool, but are easily damaged and cant be repaired unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, FeeSan said:

I’ve already made a post introducing myself.

Welcome to the WRT forum @FeeSan. This is indeed a friendly forum with many many knowledgeable and resourceful individuals! I am sorry about the watch, and in this particular instance, I will suggest that you use JB weld epoxy. https://www.jbweld.com/products/clearweld-syringe. I'm not a shareholder or anything, but I've used it for other projects (not usually watch repair!) nd it will give the strongest, most durable hold of any adhesive I've used.

J

Welcome Fee. Sorry to hear about your broken watch.

You've asked specifically about a repair option so I'll explain one first before going through another option you could consider!

Fix option: you would need to get a very fine diamond drill bit (e.g. 1mm) specifically for drilling glass/ceramic and very carefully make a hole to a depth of about 4mm in the broken lug . In this hole you would superglue a support post (this could be a small piece cut off the bottom of the drill bit). Around this support post you would then mould a lug and use a mouldable epoxy ... a company called Milliput produce a superfine white epoxy putty. With care you could fashion a lug that looks the part and the benefit of this putty is that it is sandable if any smoothing or correction is required once cured. You would then have to colour match the lug with paint and lacquer to attempt to reproduce the ceramic finish and blend in the repair. This repair would be strong but would never be as strong as the original ceramic case so you'd have to treat your repaired watch with some care going forward. At this point you might think this sound like a lot of effort or isn't something you want to tackle!

Alternative case option: if you want to stick with a ceramic case, and since the rest of your watch is okay, you could look out for a similar case (assuming a second-hand Oniss is not a cost effective approach). You might not be able to get exactly the same design but if all the dimensions of the case are the same (width, dial width, height, lug width etc.) then a competent watch repairer could swap your movement and strap to this other case.

Of course you might just want to put this accident down to a life experience and ensure your next watch is a little more durable. 

Let us know what you end up doing!