Remove watch dial

17 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

If you dont have a pin vice, use a hands remover but should look close not to hurt the pinions. Some folks even use a nail c!ipper, apply nail clipper like a hands remover.

This is a center seconds which makes other method/ techniques possible.

Also a strong tweezers, use the tweezer as you would hold a screw with it, to grab the pinion with tweezers pull straigt out.:stuff:

Hand remover worked Thanks :)

Push on the arbor pivot to dismount the barrel plate (the arbor pivot on the gear side of the barrel, side that's got gears) show on top, facing up in image you provided. 

The barrel plate is on the othe side( facing down as show in image).

Use the flat part of your tweezers ( the end not the tip of tweezers) or a coin, to push on the arbor pivot, till the barrel plate cracks open.

Get the arbor pivot out of the plate ( don,t grab and pull the plate ). Once the mainspring and the arbor is revealed, hold the spring with one finger inside the barrel to remove the arbor from the spring.then starting from center pull the spring out, let unwind out ,not just grab and pull out Th spring unwinds violently, use a protective pair of glass or gogles. You should try to control the spring coming out. Don,t just pull out rather let unwind small length of it outside the barrel while the rest of the spring still remain in barrel. Any method you deem for safety.

Take a picure of the spring before taking it out of the barrel, this helps with reinstallation.

@Leelemon: A very interesting thread so far. It started with removing the dial and that problem was nicely solved. Then another question came, then another ......

You may be interested and glad to find out that there is a search function on this forum and more than likely most of your questions have already been answered. There is even already a complete walkthough of the ST96, waiting for you to be visited:

All you have to do is a little search ....... and you may find even more information than you ever wished for ....

Hope this helps you for in the future ........ ;)

Edited by Endeavor

Yes leelemon there are walkthrough on some watches , that dose not, however, mean you are not to ask questions, for all we know, a question of yours may have not been covered, diiferent techniques ....doing without some tools,......etc, which all go to furthure enrich the forum as well.

I joined this forum several months ago and still don,t know my way around , even have trouble navigating where I done before.

So please feel free to talk watch repair with me as you wish. Before long others would  be talking watch repair with you. That is how manknid advanced to this point.

Regards joe

@Nucejoe: You are absolutely right in saying that there are different techniques of how to do things. You are also right in saying that it is sometimes not so easy to navigate through the site to find the answers; even though it took me no more then 15 seconds to find the ST96 walkthrough.

The problem is however that the other questions are hidden in a thread called "Remove watch dial". If a new thread were to be opened for each questions, chances are higher that the answers given to that question may pop up in the search function faster. This also may prevent that answers to that specific question (and therefor the knowledge spectrum) get lost, or do hide in a thread which deals with another problem.

If we all do an effort in shoring up the question & answers, the search function may actually start to yield better results; and that will hopefully help (new) members to find answers to their questions. I find it hard to imagine that on this forum most basic questions are not already answered / explained in several different ways.

However, for specific questions / problems, a new thread should indeed be opened so we can all learn from the given answers.

@Leelemon; If you can't find the answer to your question in the search function, feel free to open another thread with your next question. Many members will gladly help you, be it by answering or by pointing you in the right direction ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Eezyrider, in most cases(forgive pun) these are fitted to make the movement fit snug in the case and prevent the movement slopping about.  These inserts are used a lot by retrofitters. ie where a movement is beyond repair and a donor movement of a different type is used, often  in quartz watch conversions but quite  often used by the manufacturer.  Have look at the web for st, watches  it will give you a pointer.

Watchweasol, thanks.

What I was really asking was, were these watches fitted with the spacers from new or have they been fitted to facilitate the use of incorrect movements. You've answered the question - thanks.

Nearly all the Titus, Tressa, Roamer, Favre Leuba, Henri Sandoz, Oris and others being sold on ebay from India have these spacers, so one can assume they are not the original movements?

This Tressa dial looks good, should not be washed or touched with bare hand not even held by sides.

To handle the dial,

1. Hold by feet with tweezers

2. Fold a piece of paper to place the dial in between , like pocket it. You can then hold the dial by hand touching the paper only. 

The dial you got is genuine and actually worth more than the rest of the watch.

Having both feet fitting on movement is proof enough of it,s genuineness.

So most important is to save the dial. Other parts are cheaply available. Cleaning the glue residue off of the back of the dial by scraping it with your razor blade or use of minimum amount of solvent on glue so not to spread further and possibly get to the face is alright.  

Regards joe

On 10/8/2018 at 6:10 PM, chrisdt said:

"It is far better to remain silent and be thought in idiot than to speak and remove all doubt"

UNQUOTE

On 10/12/2018 at 4:27 AM, Nucejoe said:

Darn, looks almost like gennine. I see what you were saying.

Dials with embossed indicators ,sign and name all embossed are easy to paint.

I like the tissot more than tressa, I wounder if I can get rolex dials fit ST96.

Smartly senseless.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,  I think you mean jewel cabs, the flat side of the cab normally interfaced with staff pivot is to have perfect shiny flat surface. Pivots if chipped can dril a hole in the center of the cabs. Such cabs do not neccessarily have to be replaced, you can install it up side down ie: interface cab's dome side with the pivot. You need to check if the pivots are chipped and have drilled the hole on cabs, high magnification may be required to see chipped/ damaged pivots.

To clean the flat side of cab, simply put the cab on a page of note book paper( rough surface paper) pour several drops of lighter fluid on the paper, drag the cab over the paper smeared with lighter fluid, several times. You wouldn,t beleive your eyes how the cab surface shines. Rinse the cab, ready to be installed.

As for the lost jewel, only one of the correct hole size works.

H/S manipualtion is perhaps teachable by vidio. 

Internet has been slow and spotty over the paat week. 

Regards joe

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:28 AM, Nucejoe said:

If you dont have a pin vice, use a hands remover but should look close not to hurt the pinions. Some folks even use a nail c!ipper, apply nail clipper like a hands remover.

This is a center seconds which makes other method/ techniques possible.

Also a strong tweezers, use the tweezer as you would hold a screw with it, to grab the pinion with tweezers pull straigt out.:stuff:

there are several "canon pinion pullers"  available.    you dont want to damage the tube.  vin