CWC G10 c1997

eezy

I'd be grateful if some kind person can advise me. I dropped my CWC G10 and slightly chipped or cracked the crystal. 

I'm sure I read previously that these movements come out through the top after removing the glass - is that so? If so it removes the option of pushing out the glass from the underside.

Having said that there's about 1/2mm gap between the back cover and the casing all round.

Also is the tension ring a problem when changing them?

Thanks.

@eezyrider: I used to have a few of these CWC G10's, but sold them. So, I can't have a look and have to got back in my memory.

As far as I remember the quartz movement (ETA 955-112 or 114) comes out via the back. I think it was a press fit lid which can be hard to get off or back on. When putting it back on, make sure you have the arrow facing the crown.

As for the crystal (as a disclaimer I have to say that I never changed a CWC G10 out) I would assume it comes out after you removed the movement and by pressing it from the back, inside to the outside. Pressing could mean with your thumbs (if you are lucky) or you may need to tap it, for example, with the back end of a small wooden hammer shaft. Position the housing such that the outside of the housing is supported, but the crystal is free to "drop". Place the wooden shaft in the inside of the glass and give the shaft a little tap on the top. It shouldn't take much force, so don't go banana's.

As for the tension ring, again not 100% sure, most likely you can get it out of the old crystal. Use wood or other non-scratching material to prime it carefully out. Don't prime on just one spot, you may bend it. Go slowly around, lift bit-by-bit.

As for getting the new crystal back in you may need a hand press and nylon dies (prehaps you may need the press too to get the back-lid back on, as said they can the (very) tight). Unlikely that you can press the crystal in by just your fingers / thumbs ...... but you can try though ......

Perhaps somebody on this forum has changed a CWC crystal and knows exactly, or else you have to search the internet a bit more.

Hope this helps you a bit .....

Edited by Endeavor
  • Thanks 1

Endeavour,

Many thanks for your reply. I spotted the nick in the case back to line up the crown and it still didn't click that it was a snap on back dohhh!

Having thought about it, I'm confusing the CWC with my Hamilton 6bb which is a one piece case.

I have got a press which is fortunate because I believe these CWC case backs are impossible to fit without.

Checked out the link which was useful as the writer says he used a 317 crystal instead of the recommended 316. I guess I'll have to order one of each just in case.

Very useful info and thanks again.