Seiko 4006 - Bell Matic

Cmmb8519

Hi everyone

Just recently bought a 1969 Seiko 4006-6000 Bell-matic to start a new amateur restoration project.

The watch came from Peru and it was very bad serviced. The amount of oil inside is enough for myselft and wife to cook for a week [emoji846]

Fortunately, every thing seems to be working. Only issue I found so far is on a bearing of a plate that holds the alarm works, which is weared out (see photos) and the alarm hammer moves out place when actioned, resulting on a very low alarm sound.

The bearing hole is in a oval shape instead of round.

Any advise on how to replace this? Where to buy it? How to take accurate measurements to buy the right thing?

Many thanks all. 702bb3ae3daf433a6887fe2aab23a931.jpga1d51a63f24e3802c7ff7af26a153e9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi there, 

Thin and easily breakable dial feet is what you should be very careful with, that is if it got on ship with feet to begin with.

I got spare parts, just how I can come to rescue you from fortune hunters is not as easy as sourcing from available providers.

As usual I suggest taking picture at each stage of disassembly. I have several in my collection all of which I have serviced myself, I'll be with you till last drop of blood.

Synchronizing the bell with the watch is a pain and often inaccurate.

Alarm set works is a usual problem.

Regards

Hi there, 
Thin and easily breakable dial feet is what you should be very careful with, that is if it got on ship with feet to begin with.
I got spare parts, just how I can come to rescue you from fortune hunters is not as easy as sourcing from available providers.
As usual I suggest taking picture at each stage of disassembly. I have several in my collection all of which I have serviced myself, I'll be with you till last drop of blood.
Synchronizing the bell with the watch is a pain and often inaccurate.
Alarm set works is a usual problem.
Regards
Hi Nucejoe

Thanks for your comments and availability.

I have the watch now fully disassembled and was able to find the Seiko tech spec chart for the 4006 and a couple of videos that helped a lot.

Already ordered a new mainspring, new crystal and all gaskets from cousinsuk.
Only part I'm looking how to source is the metal bearing for the alarm works plate. See attached photo of the all plate.

Wonder if there is a way to buy this bearings from new stock (beleive there is but I'm not sure how to measure and search for it)? Or if is better to get a damaged movement and just move it across?

Thanks 013bcb77a8297332653f81d82c21fa6f.jpg

I would just get a used replacement barrel and train wheel bridge. That click spring also looks bent. I suppose you could press out that metal bush and replace it with a jewel. Its finding the right size that's the hard part.

Is the watch 27 jewels given the mainspring and alarm ms arbors have jewels?

I would just get a used replacement barrel and train wheel bridge. That click spring also looks bent. I suppose you could press out that metal bush and replace it with a jewel. Its finding the right size that's the hard part.
Is the watch 27 jewels given the mainspring and alarm ms arbors have jewels?
Thanks very much.
Yes, it is the 27 jewels.