Accutron and Vintage Enthusiast

akkatron

In 2011, while still in college, I was watching modern marvels one Sunday, and a short segment about the Accutron came on. I was intrigued, yet never really was a watch person. I saved up and bought a 214 hope it to later convert it to a Spaceview. Since then I have been repairing all types of watches, especially Accutrons. My most recents are an Electroquartz and Ultraquartz. I have no formal training, but love new challenges. If you ever have Accutron questions, I may be able to answer them! Can’t wait to be a part of the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welcome - welcome.      the Bolova Accutron history  is Very interesting, but not well understood buy the collectors or the "watch mechanics" (electronics).   i  have a spaceview (as found)  and several emty nice accutron cases.  i am shure you will have a lot to offer this good forum.  vin

Hi Akkatron. Welcome. I have tried never to get involved with any hummer of any kind. Interesting tho they are they look like a basic Hartley Osc and a tuning fork for primary pulse control.  I have info somewhere but I stick to mainly mechanical and quartz !. Many years ago I did a terrible deal and swopped a speedmaster for a F300. Heap of junk in my opinion. I wish you a better experience. Best regards, Mike.

Thanks all! The tuning fork watches are nothing much to fear. Again, I pretty much taught myself to work on them and have become quite comfortable working with the index wheels and other small parts. Yes, a Speedmaster fetches a great price these days, but so do certain f300Hz.

The problem with the f300’s is that the date wheel is plastic, and the slipper clutch used to protect the date wheel teeth has break-over torque probably 4x what it needs to be (even when lubricated). I will always recommend that the date be quick-changed between the daytime hours to avoid the sticky clutch. Otherwise, you COULD break a tooth.

The other issue is the index wheels. If the train clutch goes un-lubricated for too long, the setting mechanism will override the indexing teeth in the forward direction. You will know this is happening when the second hand quickly advances when advancing the time. Too much of this and the indexing wheel teeth will eventually flatten, like Grandma’s flat tappet camshaft lobes.

Now, I’m off to make a post about the new Tudor I received!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk