Omega 1337 help

AlexeiJ1

Hi Everyone,
I recently bought a 196.0230 Omega Seamaster 120m Quartz.
It had a messed up bezel but clean crystal and dial.
The movement had one tiny mark of acid damage on the plastic battery spacer, otherwise all clean. It was quite clean however wouldnt run so I cleaned and serviced it.
It all moves freely and the coil has a resistance of about 1.8kohm.

The circuit is clean, I cleaned a mark of corrosion off the battery tab (superficial). the traces all pass conductivity, there are really only 3 parts on the board (8 pin IC, variable cap/resistor rate trimmer, diode).

I cant get the movement to work. I noticed that when I hold the case with my hands and touch the part below on the board, it advances 1 second at a time. Tapping it quickly advances even quicker:

As you know the circuit boards are obsolete, I am looking for one and will buy one happily if people suggest that is the problem.

Also looking for a good gold or stainless bezel: 082ST0041 If anyone has a hookup with Omega let me know,
Cheers
Alex

21355-1bd7d0a0a9bf519051e352ef0657a2f7.jpg

Edited by AlexeiJ1

When cleaning and servicing did you follow Omega's recommendation in their guideline? besides the coil resistance did you do any of the other electrical checks?

then the circle part doesn't appear to be a test point at least recognized by Omega. From your description it sounds like you're doing the electronics setting? You will notice that pulling the crown out the hands don't set because you're supposed to use the push button. usually pushing the button one time the second hand jumps forward holding the button it will go really fast.

Thanks John,

I didn't have Omega's guide - I just used moebius 9010 on the oiling spots and I followed the guide from another member on this forum.

The circle part isn't a test point but it was a coincidence that I noticed that it got the movement going.

Its a bit bizarre. The time setting switch isn't shorting out, it works correctly - the case closes the circuit with the mainboard pin when the time button is pressed, normally it is open.

Is there something I'm not doing. I gently oiled the lower jewel of the motor. turning the movement by hand with an oiler feels right, the usual gearbox type feel.

The fact that I can advance it gears means that the motor isn't stuffed? The only thing I'm willing to try is a replacement circuit board. Otherwise may have to buy a donor watch for $300 or so.

Hi, with the settings in the run position go to your local TV repairer and ask to use his scope or frequency counter. 32768 Hz is the magic frequency. This will tell you if the chip is running. You coil DC resistance of 1.8K is OK. (1.5 to 4K) Battery current drawn should be about 1.6 microamps.  More for a chrono. Hope this helps a bit. Please ask if you think I can be of further help. Regards, Mike.

On 9/25/2018 at 5:11 PM, AlexeiJ1 said:

coil has a resistance of about 1.8kohm

I'm curious as to what you used to measure the coil resistance?

The problem with working on electric watches is you do require some test equipment. You do not though require the manufacturers test equipment such as the Omega ALITEST. I do have a link so you can see a picture of what it looked like it doesn't exist anymore it's not even mentioned in any of the Omega technical documentation. There probably expecting you to run out and purchase something that witschi makes that's would be very expensive. A lot of the test you can do with standard electronic test equipment. Like a digital volt meter for measuring the coil resistance preferably with the circuit removed and measuring battery voltage. Measuring the current though I prefer analog meter over digital meter. Finding one sensitive enough can be a challenge. Both Seiko and citizen made inexpensive meters that work fine for that if you can find them. the analog meters also good for checking for impulses out of the integrated circuit.

Then as an alternative to the TV repair shop which I don't even know if the exist anymore? Seek out a professional watchmaker who repairs quartz watches they would have the necessary test equipment.

then regarding witschi they other hand out talks about quartz watches and troubleshooting procedures. No you don't have to use their equipment unless you've lost some money you can use other stuff

https://www.witschi.com/assets/files/sheets/Knowledge Quartz Watch.pdf

https://www.todocoleccion.net/relojes-omega/herramienta-maquina-alitest-para-reloj-omega-electronic~x67209721

omega 1337s.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - got an update.
I bought a basket case 1332 movement - complete circuit board with a missing battery contact tab.

SO I trouble shooted and initially transplanted component by component - however it appears that either the IC failed or the quartz crystal.

I eventually moved the 1332 board into the movement and it works fine.

Can't set the minutes however think thats a contact issue.

Cheers for the help!