Hello all!

Wildboar

Hello,

I’m a uk based watchmaker mainly working on early verge escapement pocket watches. Although they are, in principle, a lot less complicated than modern wrist watches there aren’t any spare parts available, so I end up having to make from scratch or adapt something.

I’m now starting to learn a bit more about wrist watch work, mainly vintage watches, so have joined here for some tips and information. At the moment I’m cleaning and repairing my own Universal Geneve polerouter date, with a lovely caliber 69 microtor movement. 

Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

Hi wildboar, welcome and keep it up !. Nice hobby but can be a bit trying at times. I have almost given up on an old verge watch. Trouble is that I did not get there first.!! Regulator plate screws missing and balance seems a bit too worn. Cleaned it and assembled then chain came off so it is back in the junk box !. Maybe later, who knows !. Best regards, Mike.

I usually wind the chain on last. I wind it onto the fusee then hook it onto the barrel and slowly wind it off the fusee onto the barrel using a watch key on the square on the barrel arbour. Of course make sure that the verge and balance are out of the watch are out when you do this! It’s then just a case of getting everything set up and in beat....

Thanks wildboar. I have torn it down again, you gave me the inspiration.  I will "make" the missing screws and put it together after further inspection. I have put the escape in the correct position but now need to check the balance bearings, particularly the one that goes thru the escape into the bearing there.  My method of chain assy is to fix and wind the chain round the barrel first and then hook the other end in the fusee. Then wind a little tension to keep it there and stick a dressmaking pin thru the contrate "crown" wheel if you like to hold it there whilst installing the balance and paddles. Fit regulator, pin h/s and  install balance bearing plate and then remove the pin. I hope to have better luck next time. Thanks again for your comments. Regards, Mike Nr. Soton UK.

• 2 months later...

G'day Mike,

It's been a while since you posted, but this is the way I was shown to stop a verge drivetrain.

Fold over the edge of a piece of paper and cut a dart out of it.

1..thumb.JPG.c12bc0f6c760a3735ba218ee634864e8.JPG

If the point of it is too long and fine I snip it off.

2..thumb.JPG.6e170298fc3006741b780b230b96b394.JPG

Then poke it through the contrate wheel. Can't cause any damage as it's structure is way softer than any of the components.

3..thumb.JPG.55c48e07902b388d140d667996d6ff7d.JPG

One of the old texts I have, as a PDF, by Berthoud, says to stop the train by means of a hair or piece of paper. I'm wondering if the hair he's referring to is pig's bristles? They were in use for all sorts of things back in the 1700's, and would be stiff enough to do it. I use them as needles on the threads I hand sew my shoes with, and they are very resilient things :)

Hope this was helpful.

Cheers
Duncan