amplitude problem

watchweasol

Hi Guys watch weasol here from  St Combs Scotland. been repairing clocks and watches for many a year, now retired and still at it

but now I have a problem on a Omega 522 It had a broken  mainspring  which was replaced (GR) and re assembled problem is that

I cant get the amplitude up to 250 deg it is around 160 deg and running fast. I have cleaned the watch removed and cleaned balance 

jewels and run up using a Horotec timer Lift angle = 49   Beat error = 1ms,   Any ideas or pointers would be appreiated.

thanks   Weasol

Hi Weasol, I had a similar problem a little while ago with low amplitude on an old Everite watch. I re-cleaned the pallets and pallet bearings in Acetone to completely remove all oil and re-assembled with NO lubrication to the pallet arbors. Result was a further approx 60deg balance amplitude. Old Hippy advised me to do this. I used 9010 the first time and I think that it is a bit sticky !!. Just saying.

• Like 1

I've said this many times, but those later Omegas (500 series onwards) have finer pivots are are more susceptible to suffering from the effects of dirty jewels as there is less torque going through the train.

However, you mentioned it runs fast, so I would also look very closely at the action of the hairspring to look for any irregularities. Could be bent or magnetised.

Is the amplitude the same DU and DD?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rodabod said:

I've said this many times, but those later Omegas (500 series onwards) have finer pivots are are more susceptible to suffering from the effects of dirty jewels as there is less torque going through the train.

However, you mentioned it runs fast, so I would also look very closely at the action of the hairspring to look for any irregularities. Could be bent or magnetised.

Is the amplitude the same DU and DD?

I can confirm this - see the thread "Omega 613 low amplitude solved. Don't forget to check this jewel is you have low amplitude".

A dirty balance hole jewel was enough to knock the amplitude down from 270 to 190 deg.

BTW there's no listing for 522 on Ranfft - do you mean 552 ?

• Like 1

Cheers guys food for thought there, I changed the balance complete in an effort to isolate the problem

and got the same result, maybe have a closer look at the pallet and jewels. sorry for the typo I meant a 552.  good advice as always will let you know the results when I get down to it got a few jobs to do. by the way its the same DU or DD. The finer pivots may be better running without oil, just a thought.

Hi Guys watch weasol here from  St Combs Scotland. been repairing clocks and watches for many a year, now retired and still at it
but now I have a problem on a Omega 522 It had a broken  mainspring  which was replaced (GR) and re assembled problem is that
I cant get the amplitude up to 250 deg it is around 160 deg and running fast. I have cleaned the watch removed and cleaned balance 
jewels and run up using a Horotec timer Lift angle = 49   Beat error = 1ms,   Any ideas or pointers would be appreiated.
thanks   Weasol

Hi, it’s running fast because the amplitude is so low...

Cheers Kaz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

There are so many possible causes, can you give any more info? Does the train have backlash with the pallet fork removed? Did you peg the jewels, especially the escape wheel and pallet fork jewels? With the fork out, does the balance oscillate freely and for some time? Are you sure you put the right mainspring in? Try removing the tension spring for the sweep seconds and see if amp goes up to eliminate that.

• Like 1

Hi Guys  Right got back to the job , removed the oscillator weight and associated bridge leaving a basic watch. remove the balance and pallet cleaned and reassembled dry (no lube) amplitude has increased

but watch o scope reports a loss rating even though the regulator is fully advaned. The oscillations of the balance look good and again watch o scope reports 250deg. My horotec sensor wire broke so have no recourse to back checking  (Gremlins).

The train seems clear enough and has some reverse movement when manually operated . the mainspring was a GR from cousins for the 500 series omega so should be ok..

Will have to repair the sensor or get another.  happy days.  thanks for guide lines guys.

cheers  weasol