Seiko 5m43-0a40

Fire3

Hi all

i have a Seiko 5M43-0A40 kenetic watch that had a suspected faulty capacitor, I took it to my local watch repair man who has advised me their is a fault with the movement due to a previous repair (I can’t for the life of me remember where I took it to get repaired previously)

The watch has a lot of sentimental value to me, what are my options for replacing the whole movement? 

Thanks in advance 

Fire3

So, did the watch repairman say exactly what was wrong with the movement? as it is hard to advise you if we don't know what the problem is.

My opinion would be to take it to someone who will tell you what the fault is and how much to repair, otherwise you are making decisions based on lack of information. Knowing this will help you decide if it is certain parts that need replacing or the whole movement.

The movement 5M43 is obsolete, but most parts are still available, so it depends on what is wrong with it as to your best option.

Repair the existing movement, or find a donor movement from a second hand watch, Jon says we need to what is wrong before we can give advice.

Thanks for the replies, I’ve contacted the repair man, he says the coils were damaged when the previous capacitor was changed and they used a cheap replacement capacitor which has leaked.

I’ve found a Hattori YT63 movement that I have been told is a direct replacement is this correct? 

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Hi Vandan. Hi from a fellow newbie! Marshall has got a lot to answer for hasn't he! 😄. I also got hooked to this hobby after watching his videos.  Good luck with your journey to service your Grandfather's watch.   Nick 
    • Hi all, I have a lovely Favre-Lueba dress watch from late 70s/early 80s in a stainless steel case.  Its an unusual curved rectangular case and crystal.  I'm wondering if there's any possibility I might be able to buy/find a replacement crystal for this watch.  The base of the crystal is also curved to match the case, rather than flat.  I'm looking at the Cousins website page here https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/rectsq-rounded-corners-one-side-curved-bezel-sternkreuz-rzr but not sure if I'm looking for the correct type.  In my case its a rectanglular crystal with rounded corners, and both the upper and lower surfaces of the crystal are curved.   Update - OK I now think I know what I'm looking for, but Cousins don't stock the size I need :-).  I think I need a Sternkruez RZ 315x220R9, acrylic, cylindrically domed with rounded corners.  Any tips or alternate sources for this source of crystal. Many thanks
    • Getting more interesting this post, innit? Mikeplilk, Waggy. Impressed with your efforts. Makes mine look amateurish. Hey, that's what I am. Still, I have good results with the 'frog'. Apprentice test piece. Paper is from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234602659940?var=534248554534   I am aware that the more I delve into the DIY, the more I am gaining understanding of watchmaking. Well, a little each time. Ross  
    • Now, that's a bad boy watch! 🫡
    • High frequency day: 36000 bph.