Would this barrel hold a new spring?

quantieme

This might be a stupid question but given the crack in this barrel would it be strong enough to hold a new spring or can the crack be repaired and if so by what method. I will search for a new barrel but just in case I cannot locate one I thought I’d get some opinions. Barrel is 32.6 mm in dia x 35.6 at splined end x 23 mm high if someone knows of one. Thanks.

1503AF3E-5061-414D-B02B-FEFA7E08A1A3.jpeg

909EC141-C4BC-4818-B7F4-6ABA67D771FD.jpeg

446B7AAF-19A4-4C20-AEA1-E061EE92E09B.jpeg

Do not put a spring in it with a crack in the barrel like that.

At some point it will fail with spectacular results.

If you cant find a replacement barrel it will need to be repaired.

The tube part is just soft soldered to the wheel, it will need to be desoldered and a new tube and possibly end cap will need to be made to fit unless you can find a donor barrel of the same diameter and height that can also be desldered and fitted to the wheel. The endcap from the donor barrel tube would need to be bushed to fit the arbor too obviously.

• Like 1

That is not the correct way to go. No offence, but if a clock had come to me like that some of these types of repairs that are being suggest I would class them as bodged up repairs. They would be replaced by the method suggested by Tmuir and myself. Clocks should be repaired/restored correctly or not at all.   

Soft solder would not be strong enough for that anyway. If you really wanted to re-use that barrel wall, then you'd possibly move the hooking point to another part of the wall and then hard solder the crack. A waste of effort when you can do a better job by replacing in my opinion. It was quite possibly caused by a previous mainspring breaking as the sudden expansion of the spring can destroy the barrel. Been there, done that!

Edited by rodabod

The other issue with the soft solder repair you are suggesting is the crack is up the the hook which has been riveted in place, so the crack will of weakened that too. If you soft solder it you may still find the hook pulls out of the barrel with bad results.

I know its more work but repairing a cracked barrel tube with soft solder is not an option.

Soft solder is great for 'sticking' things together, but is not good for items under stress like a barrel with a spring inside it.

That is why you can use it to soft solder the tube to the wheel as it is not under great stress there like it would be holding the barrel together.

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

That is not the correct way to go. No offence, but if a clock had come to me like that some of these types of repairs that are being suggest I would class them as bodged up repairs. They would be replaced by the method suggested by Tmuir and myself. Clocks should be repaired/restored correctly or not at all.   

no offence taken, that is why i ask questions on this site to get professional opinions. i absolutely hate bodged repairs so i will go with the replacement barrel option. I would never have been 100 per cent happy with a non standard repair.

2 hours ago, rodabod said:

Soft solder would not be strong enough for that anyway. If you really wanted to re-use that barrel wall, then you'd possibly move the hooking point to another part of the wall and then hard solder the crack. A waste of effort when you can do a better job by replacing in my opinion. It was quite possibly caused by a previous mainspring breaking as the sudden expansion of the spring can destroy the barrel. Been there, done that!

yes the spring was broken in that barrel which is what probably caused the crack in the first place.

Hi Finger trouble.

Toothed end                     Dia                        Height

36.6                                    33.3                        25.3

36.1                                     33.6                        25.3

36.3                                      33.3                       25.5

36.5                                     33.3                         23.4

36.1                                       33.2                       25.4

36.6                                       33.4                        25.5

all french clock barrels, mougin feres etc if you want one or two message me ,  I am on facebook and email

Weasol