PLEASE HELP ME TO IDENTIFY THIS MOVEMENT

manodeoro

Hello,

Last week-end a friend of mine asked me if I would agree to "refurbish a little" (that's what he said) a watch that stayed in his drawers for years.

It's a cheap automatic watch so I supposed I would find something Chinese inside, but when I opened it it showed a movement I've never seen.

I have no idea which brand/model it is so if anybody here have seen that movement and can put a name on it ... you're welcome  :)

IMG_0911.thumb.JPG.688652e2e1ea441717a63f215ab7e3a9.JPG

IMG_0910.thumb.JPG.4bcd72b613b996ea59242061d14e2652.JPG

IMG_0909.thumb.JPG.ec448269e7161af34326769792fdbf29.JPG

IMG_0908.thumb.JPG.04bcc6bfe9fc02097ac72d6812b0a110.JPG

Hi, If you will, take a closer look to find the manufacuturer sign, it is commonly underneath the balànce wheel or the vicinity thereof.

Just by the looks of it, I say either a russian or even a chinees colone.

A quality brand spends millions to show/advertse it,s brand and certainly wouldn,t hide the brand from you on its own product.

Regards

45 minutes ago, transporter said:

mate I'm pretty sure that is a Chinese movement, that bridge for the auto wind seems very familiar to me, from when i work on cheap reps what is the watch?

31 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi, If you will, take a closer look to find the manufacuturer sign, it is commonly underneath the balànce wheel or the vicinity thereof.

Just by the looks of it, I say either a russian or even a chinees colone.

A quality brand spends millions to show/advertse it,s brand and certainly wouldn,t hide the brand from you on its own product.

Regards

Thanks to you two.

It definitely IS an old rep watch but I have never seen such a auto bridge on a Chinese nor Russian movement.

The reason  probably is that I'm new in this hobby so I have seen old genuine russian movements (mostly handwind) but only new asian clones.

So an "old " asian clone ... I've never seen.

May I specify that the stem has only 2 positions and there is not hacking second hand.

So even if  a sign of any sort is under the balance wheel (which I clearly doubt of) I'll have to wait for the movement to stop before trying to read it. 

I definitely don't want to work on the movement and just clean and buff the watch a little but to do this I would prefer to remove the movement from the case ... I have seen the push button on the right of the stem that would probably help to release the stem but I dont want to brake anything in my firend's watch, even if it's a crappy one.

So, at the least, do you know if I'd better remove the stem while in winding position or in adjustment position ?

P.S. :

why ... WHY didn't my friend asked me to refurbish a Kelton or a Timex :wacko:

P.P.S :

to transporter ... the watch is an old DateJust clone that my friend got in Asia long years ago.

He doesn't  exactly remember but he said  about 30 years ... that is why he want to keep it alive and well ... as a memory of his youth

Edited by manodeoro

12 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

In adjustment, outer most position. then push down to remove.

Push down near most when reinserting the stem.

Regards

THanks ... that's how I would have proceeded but I just wanted an advice to confirm.

I wont spend too much time on that one, just a quick clean and back to the owner.

Next time I'll show you my new comer (which is mine) ... a Mortima SuperDatomatic

The case and dial are really clean but the movement is "blocked" ... so I'll need some help ^_^

as for a quick clean, if you mean the movement i think you might want to spend abit more time than that my friend. you don't have to wait for the movement to stop by itself, if you let down the mainspring as you should when working on any movement you can then remove the movement from the case and start to work on both ok, Please make sure you are confident and happy before working on someone else's timepiece, or have a watch smith on hand to help you or a shed load of spares when you lose that one bit that you need and you've told your friend he can have his watch back in the morning. Don't ask me how i know this!!!!!

22 hours ago, transporter said:

as for a quick clean, if you mean the movement i think you might want to spend abit more time than that my friend. you don't have to wait for the movement to stop by itself, if you let down the mainspring as you should when working on any movement you can then remove the movement from the case and start to work on both ok, Please make sure you are confident and happy before working on someone else's timepiece, or have a watch smith on hand to help you or a shed load of spares when you lose that one bit that you need and you've told your friend he can have his watch back in the morning. Don't ask me how i know this!!!!!

Only the watchcase and bracelet for a quick clean of course.

I have already serviced some cheap chinese movements on my own watches and I would never do that on a watch I don't own as they are too badly produced and flimsy (though a service is still possible and helps to improve accuracy and power reserve).