Tissot Watch Dial started rotating clockwise.

LMDAVE

Newbie question, I woke up this morning and noticed my 2 year old Tissot PRS516 (automatic) watch that the dial was rotated clockwise about 4 mintues, as of this post its almost 10 minutes rotated. What would cause such a thing? I will bring it to my local watch repair shop but curious is this is a simple fix.

I set the time, that was the last time I remembered everything being normal. 

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

This is fairly common failure. Usually, there is a means to attach the dial to the movement to keep them together. In most watches this is done via little tabs or studs that poke off the back of the dial and are held in place with set screws. It looks like those feet probably broke off, likely due to some large shock or vibration.

A half-assed fix is to just glue the dial to the movement, but that's a bad practice as it make future repairs harder. The right way is to replace the broken dial feet. A reasonable middle ground is to use some non-permanent double-sided tape.

• Like 1

Broken dial feet seems highly unlikely since the day/ date is rightly placed under it's window.

Check functions throgh crown, winding( if it dose, though automatic, day/date quck set etc. 

I think you may have a snapped/ detached stem.

Regards

The crown is still working for time adjustment (two clicks out), but it does give a little trouble during the date adjustment (one click out). As I'm rotating it to adjust the date as a test, it moves a number or two then the crown pulls itself back in to fully closed.

And the Day letters aren't perfect under the window anymore they are a little offset which you can see in one of the pictures above.

The back looks to be pressure clamped in. This is a self winding watch and it has this cool window to watch the self winding mechanism work. This is probably a job for a local repair shop, I just didn't want to get shocked by the repair cost. So I was curious what it could have been. 

IMG_4460.jpg

The winding means the stem is attached, so we are back to ghartman diagosis, the dial plate is rotating. 

First we need to check online for movements diagram to see if dial came with feet?

Braking the feet with the movement in the housing, is not a job for an ordinary man, so you would as well need a bus for taking to vacation ,the kids you are going to have .

Second if you actually managed to break the feet. I agree with ghaftman to use double side tape.

And last but not least , this is not a big job, don,t let the repairman rip you off.

Good luck

Regards

• Like 2

Hello LMDAVE,

On this friendly forum before making a post for help or advice. We like new members to introduce themselves. Just say a little about what you do and about yourself.

We like that to go into the Introducing Yourself Here. This is the link.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/forum/23-introduce-yourself-here/

• Like 1

The hands appear to be telling the correct time so it would be just the dial that is revolving. I have a passion for Tissots and have some dating back to the 50's but never known this to happen. Yes the dial feet can break off but both at the same time? and usually when your removing the dial. Tissots usually fit into a grommet in the movement instead of the usual movement edge screw. Are you sure its a Tissot????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Nucejoe says its not a big job but not something I would have attempted as a first project on a quality watch. If you really treasure the watch I would recommend getting professional advice and get a quote for the repair. However if you do attempt it yourself and it is broken dial feet buy some dial dots, tiny dots of sticky which are easy to apply and easy to remove in future.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260-x-Watch-Dial-Foot-Pads-3mm-Sticky-Feet-Sticking-Spots-for-Movement-Repairs/263363518242?hash=item3d51b05f22:g:ZzEAAOSwdx1aNAVO

• Thanks 1

Chrisdt has a point, tissot brand is well known/advertised, expectedly more fake ones out there than genuine.

Tissot licenced, know-how etc are decent colones used by tissot as well.

You may want to post a question to see if it is genuine, if fake you can possiblg buy another one for the cost of repair.

Regards

7 hours ago, chrisdt said:

The hands appear to be telling the correct time so it would be just the dial that is revolving. I have a passion for Tissots and have some dating back to the 50's but never known this to happen. Yes the dial feet can break off but both at the same time? and usually when your removing the dial. Tissots usually fit into a grommet in the movement instead of the usual movement edge screw. Are you sure its a Tissot????

If I had tissot made in fifties I too would have develoed a passion for them. Surely you agree tissot is more brand nowadays than the watçh it used to be.

I dropped the watch off at the repair shop yesterday. He pretty much said the same as you guy with the easy repair method vs. him sending it back to Tissot for official replacement of parts and servicing. Since this is my everyday watch, I'm letting him do the repair.

I have a pretty good picture of the front and back in this post, and here's picture from when I bought it 2 years ago. If anyoen spots anything that doesn't look official let me know. I'm pretty good at spotting fakes and I know there's usually a lot of "things to look for" on fakes, so I'll look into that too. 

IMG_4467.jpg

Well I think some of the older Tissot models were underestimated in their quality and only recently have increased in value. People perhaps don't realise that some of the Tissot calibres were the equivilant to some Omega calibres. For instance the 1970's Automatic Seastar from Tissot used their 2481 calibre which is identical to the Omega 1481. Here is a Seastar from 1958 still going strong which must mean something for the quality.

P1010029.JPG

P1010028.JPG

Edited by chrisdt
missed word